We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dead PC - won't boot :-(

Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

The electrician just did something that caused the PCs in the house to fall over. Most have come back, but my son's is as dead as a doornail - no sign of power to it. I'm guessing that there's nothing I can do as it's likely a power supply problem (or worse) - but I just thought I'd put out an urgent cry for help, just in case there's something simple/obvious that I'm overlooking, like a fuse... (Yes, I've tried different power cables and different sockets - still no joy).

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Thanks Jock1e. Yeah, checked the circuits, the outlet, the extension cable. Everything else works - except the PC... Lotvic: nope, no nothing - not even the light on the motherboard.

Like this post
Conny

Likes # 0

What did the electrician do to make them all 'fall over'? Was he PAT testing your appliances by any chance?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Just realised - Electrician? on a Sunday?

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

New PSU may be the answer but I would check it first with another second hand one. In my experience a massive PSU blow out might have wrecked the motherboard, RAM etc. It may of course be a total coincidence that the "electrician" caused it so don't blame him. (Particularly if the computer wasn't on a surge protector - which hasn't been mentioned so far as I am aware.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Thanks all again. Conny: no - LOL! He was wiring in a new electric shower. Lotvic: 'electrician' is only one of our builder's many 'talents'. He's running late with us on a job with a deadline of Tuesday, so decided he'd better work today. Taff: thanks - I think... :-( Fingers crossed it was the PSU - I really don't feel like affording more.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Easy enough to check - remove the main 20/24 plug and short out the green lead to any black. Simulates pressing the power button. Fan within the PSU should run. Not a 100% check, but should give you a clue.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Thanks otl1. It's late now, and I'm gonna bung it into our local (and very good) PC repair guy first thing tomorrow. I'll mark as 'solved' but will try and come back with an update.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If the Electrician used a Earth Leakage Tester on the House Wiring he may be responsible under is Insurance to pay for any Damage he caused/

One like this will put 500Volts though the wiring under test

Read Details of the tester

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

When you had this problem was there any way you switched the off on button to off on the back of the computer before trying the second lead.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Thanks guys. woodchip: I don't know what he did, but it definitely wasn't that.

Jock1e: good thought - but no, I checked and re-checked the switch on the back.

It's in the repair shop now, and I'm nervously awaiting the call...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015