We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dead PC - won't boot :-(

Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

The electrician just did something that caused the PCs in the house to fall over. Most have come back, but my son's is as dead as a doornail - no sign of power to it. I'm guessing that there's nothing I can do as it's likely a power supply problem (or worse) - but I just thought I'd put out an urgent cry for help, just in case there's something simple/obvious that I'm overlooking, like a fuse... (Yes, I've tried different power cables and different sockets - still no joy).

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Probably the PSU - easy to change and only 20 quid for a basic one.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Thanks OTL. Hopefully, it's no more than that. I'll probably replace it with decent one, as it's a reasonable spec gaming system.

No quick fix today, then... :-(

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Hi

Don't usually use PC World but this PSU is reasonably priced and they are open on a Sunday. Don't forget Currys is the same store.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/corexstream-ocz-csx500w-uk-atx-psu-500-w-15050623-pdt.html

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

One final check worth doing. Unplug the kettle lead power cable from the computer. Press and hold the power on button for 45 seconds or so. Now try it again.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Is there no lights come on or any noise from it at all Just trying to rule out the monitor.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Ok forget last.{no sign of power to it]

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Thanks guys. Taff - tried that, didn't work... :-( Is that something to do with clearing the CMOS/resetting the BIOS?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Ian in Northampton

It just clears any static which might stop the computer from working properly.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Could it be the electrical circuit in the house.I know one fuse will be for the lights another for the electrical sockets but not sure if there are two or not, one for upstairs and one for downstairs.

Check the fuse box I suppose to see if any of them have tripped.Almost 100% sure it will not be that but thought that I would mention it just in case.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

When you say 'no sign of any power to it' do you mean the light inside pc on motherboard doesn't come on?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow