We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

police virus :-(:-(:-(:-(

vespa1

Likes # 0

Got the above virus on my desktop, im getting it sorted tomorrow. My question is what spyware and anti malware programs should i have installed so it doesn't happen again.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

As is indicated here, your browser should be a secure one and keeping it up to date will help protect you as will avoiding suspect sites. There are also Add-ons such as McAffee Site Advisor and WOT - both free - that will provide indications of unsafe sites.

You must also keep your AV and other malware protection up to date and active. I use MSE and Spybot S&D backed up with SpywareBlaster as my active protection and have Malwarebytes for regular (weekly) checks.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Jock1e has given you the link to one of the ways to sort this out. Personally I would use Malwarebytes Free Malwarebytes Download on a quick scan first from safemode with networking and then follow it up with running Ccleaner CCleaner Free Download from Piriform link in first column and a full scan using Emsisoft which is a much deeper scan but best done overnight - it can take several hours depending on the amount of data on your drive.

Both Malwarebytes and Emsisoft will offer a free trial period of their software during installation. I suggest you take them and see how good you think they are. Personally I have the full version of Emsisoft and it is worth paying for.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Protection requirements on all machines Firewall, Antivirus, Antimalware

What op system?

XP you need a firewall XP firewall is incoming only

Avast as your antivirus

Antimalware Avast will do a lot but use SpywareBlaster as a blocker

back that up with Malwarwbytes or Superantispyware to do a weekly check that Avast is doing its job.

Vista / W7

windows own firewall is good enough and Microsoft Security Essentials will update automatically with your window updates again Spywareblaster Malwarebytes and SAS can be used as backup

Like this post
vespa1

Likes # 0

I had the firewall on with vista but still got through. Technician is now washing my computer at the mo. Going to download the cccleaner i got on the disk in the December issue when its sorted. Any other stuff i should download from the disk?

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

The CCleaner on the disk must be out of date already - download it from my link. Then as I said before Malwarebytes and Emsisoft Antimalware - all the links are in previous posts.

I don't care what anyone says about preventative software there is only so much you can do. A firewall on it's own will not stop this type of ransomware and if you inadvertently follow a link to an infected site or prompt an infected download the firewall probably won't block it.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I've cleaned computers with various expensive antivirus progs. Some bugs will get through no matter what precautions you take.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......