We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

When I extract a .rar file using Winrar the extracted file is still in .rar format

Fleetblue

Likes # 0

As the title says. I burned an iso file to disc which then appeared as an .rar file. I used Winrar to extract it to my desktop, but when I tried to open it it opened as a Winrar archive file. I extracted that with the same result. Another Winrar archive file! Am I missing something? Any help appreciated.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Instead of extracting the .RAR file directly from the disk (where it will be a "Read Only" file), copy it first to the PC's hard drive, remove its Read Only attribute if set, then extract it with Winrar.

Like this post
Fleetblue

Likes # 0

Still the same result I'm afraid. I did notice when I was extracting the file it said extracted with "Winrar Archiver". Could that have anything to do with it?

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

I have known some rar files which did contain other rar files which then also needed to be un-rar'd. just a thought.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Maybe you need to check each .rar as you come to them to see if they in turn are 'read only'

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Have you tried with 7zip? http://www.7-zip.org/ it's free and efficient. Archiver just means that the files are compressed into a .rar file.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer