We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC slow

1st spring

Likes # 0

I run Malwarebytes, Glary Utilies, Super AntiSpyware, Ccleaner. Can you suggest what else I can do to make it run faster? I have XP Pro I have Internet Explorer.

It's asking me if I want to do a disk clean which I normally do but a friend said they never do that so I thought I wouldn't not that I know how to stop it from keep suggesting that I do a disk clean, Any suggestions please. I have Avira as an anti virus. Also have AVG in my downloads folder which I do not use but if ever I decided to go back to AVG it is there ready.

Should I delete every thing that I do not use would this help. Someone said it is because I might have a lot on the PC, but I mostly only have pictures and send emails, look at the web but delete cookies.

I also have problems in moveing the bar at the side it doesn't want to move or the pointer turns into a double headed arrow. Had this PC for years but still a novis

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

What anti virus were you using before Avira and did you download the proper removal tool to get rid of the old one.

Try Firefox it is much quicker than I/E.

How much memory does it have and how much disc space left on the hard drive.Disc clean up is fine and it will tell you how much disk space you have left as well.

C Cleaner and Glary utilities you should only need one of those.

If it is asking you to do a Disk clean I would imagine it is running short of Disk space.

Once you run Disk Cleanup another box will open and if you click on more options it gives you the choice of removing all but the last restore point I would run that.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Sorry the bar on the side I am not sure about.Do you mean the Taskbar at the bottom.

Like this post
1st spring

Likes # 0

I mean the bar that makes the page go up or down.

I will try fire fox. I used AVG before Avira I have been using this for a long time. Not sure about using the correct tool to get rid of the old AVG. Do you mean Revo. I have been using Revo about a year now. I have done a disk clean up but it did not tell me how much space I have left or another box come up it just disappears when clean. Just this min done a disk clean in between this reply. I ticked everything but the last line, not sure what this is. Where will I find out how much space and memoray I have left?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Disc cleanup you should not tick everything just the boxes that are already ticked should be used.

Before you do Disk Cleanup there will be a big circle and above the circle there are 2 boxes telling you how much used space and how much free space there is.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Ticking all the boxes in clean up and deleting everything might give you some problems as some of those files may be needed.

Not sure if a system restore may put them back again but don't turn off your computer until someone can give you the best advice on what to do as it may have trouble restarting.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If you right click my computer and click on properties it should tell you how much memory that you have installed.

I usually just check in Taskmanager to see how much memory is being used not sure if there is another way of checking.

See If Revo picks up AVG and if so use setting 4 to remove it completely.

If not you can download one from here.

http://www.avg.com/gb-en/utilities

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Contactless payments to launch on London public transport this year

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

NASA offers free 3D models of satellites, probes and planets for 3D printing and animation projects