We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to confirm if been hacked?

jonbobsuerita

Likes # 0

Hi there

Ive been having problems with my laptop for a while mainly regarding security. I think someone has got unauthorised access but I need to confirm it.

Ive had all my security settings checked, perform scans etc that are all in order however how do I find out for definite.

Its been going on a while and yet unusual things keep happening. A friend who is supposed to be in the IT know (friend of husbands and I dont really know him) checked our laptop and said there were some very strange things on there that he couldn't explain but it didnt look anything serious. He removed a couple of programmes (mainly gaming ones) but didnt think they had posed any threat.

I deleted my user account and started again yet there have been a few odd things however tonight whilst trying to navigate to my banks website a warning has shown, insecure site and advised that if it is a usual site then another user must be using my account (not exact words obviously)

I just need to confirm it once and for all for my sanity.

Many thanks

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

trusteer.

I'm now up to 7 PCs where Trusteer has caused problems - all different from problems updating to crashes when loading pages. I'm sure this programme has not been properly researched and is using bank customers as guinea pigs.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I've found no mention of inprivate or incognito browsing which is advisable when doing online banking.

I also use Kaspersky 2013 (free from my bank) which has Safe Money.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

onthelimit1 , I've two Win 8, one XP and one Win 7 PCs all running Trusteer with no problems. Not from any bank suggestion.

Like this post
jonbobsuerita

Likes # 0

Thanks guys.

Is there anyway at all that I can see if someone has to access to my PCM? Surely there must be a way, something not so obvious and only tech people would know where and what to look for.

If you hadn't already gathered I'm not a tech person but learning very quickly and find myself wanting to know more

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

http://www.ehow.com/how7414394check-remote-access.html

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Dinky21 , as previously advised, I would uninstall either Avast (you need to download the tool and remove in safe mode) or uninstall MSE. Disabling is not enough as all these security programs still affect the registry.

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Once you've done that then see how it goes.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Also check time and date is correct.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Log report in Router firewall may help

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015