We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to confirm if been hacked?

jonbobsuerita

Likes # 0

Hi there

Ive been having problems with my laptop for a while mainly regarding security. I think someone has got unauthorised access but I need to confirm it.

Ive had all my security settings checked, perform scans etc that are all in order however how do I find out for definite.

Its been going on a while and yet unusual things keep happening. A friend who is supposed to be in the IT know (friend of husbands and I dont really know him) checked our laptop and said there were some very strange things on there that he couldn't explain but it didnt look anything serious. He removed a couple of programmes (mainly gaming ones) but didnt think they had posed any threat.

I deleted my user account and started again yet there have been a few odd things however tonight whilst trying to navigate to my banks website a warning has shown, insecure site and advised that if it is a usual site then another user must be using my account (not exact words obviously)

I just need to confirm it once and for all for my sanity.

Many thanks

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

What security programs do you use.Firewall.Anti Virus and Anti Malware programs.

MalwareBytes is worth trying if you do not already use it.You get a fortnights trial of the pro version then it reverts back to the free version.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I suggest you download your banks security program and also 'Trusteer Rapport', which may also be available from your bank.

• Trusteer,

When you have activated it, it checks for the registered address of the website and if the IP address is wrong- (page hijacked) re-directs it to the correct registered address.

Banks website is designed to keep banking system safe, and is normally more secure than a commercial site.

Terry

Like this post
jonbobsuerita

Likes # 0

Thanks so much for advice. Ive got trusteer and usually check to make sure site is showing secure before going on. Thanks.

I use windows security essentials.

Do you know if there is anything I could look for in event viewer? I've had a look and it doesn't seem what I would think are usual entries but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at?

Thanks again. All advice appreciated

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Do you still get the warning even if you manually type the banks url in the address bar?

What program gives you the warning? (is it the browser or another program)

Which browser are you using and O/S (XP Vista W7)

Have you checked you are not being redirected through a proxy? (that might mean that another site is viewing/recording what you enter on the real site).

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Bank url in address bar and your bookmark/favourites check that it begins with https:// and not just http:// The s means it is secure.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

[I use windows security essentials.]

Is that the extent of your security programs or do you have others,If that's all you have it is not enough to keep your laptop secure.

Like this post
jonbobsuerita

Likes # 0

I have avast also but don't enable both at same time, I didn't think you were supposed to.

The warning when trying to access banks website is just one of the anomalies, this is the first time it's happened and just spurred me to post this.

I've had random programmes and files appear. Been unable to log off on two occasions cos warned another user is using laptop but only husband has access and he was in bed. There's been numerous things, that many but there is no pattern.

Is the difference between https and http just whether secure or not?

I got the initial feeling that I was being redirected with a view to getting log in details. I'm with RBS and cos of the recent Santander fiasco others have worried about its security and RBS web page has been redirecting all over the place to take the merger or lack of it now into account.

During start up if there anything I would be able to see if someone was key logging or some sort of remote access?

Apologies for delays in checking posts, not with laptop at mo but keep checking phone. I am very interested and appreciate everyone's help.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

sounds to me as if you have a conflict by having both MSE and Avast installed. Completely Uninstall one of them, or both and then reinstall the one you intend using.

First you could have a look in their program logs to read reports. But I'm putting my money on conflicting programs - they interfere with each other even though you may have one disabled from running.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

ps I use Free Avast and have SpywareBlaster installed (they do different things so no conflict, spywareBlaster is free)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

also have Trusteer Rapport, from Bank website (sorry for triple posts)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today