We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ransomware threat - recent report

jonem81

Likes # 0

Ransomware Threat. Is ther a way to avoid this? jonem81

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Maybe try running MalwareBytes and see if that gets rid of it.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Another but looks a bit complicated.

http://deletemalware.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/remove-metropolitan-police-ransomware.html

Maybe best waiting for someone that can give you the easiest way of removing it.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

jonem81 is asking how to avoid rather than remove....... Isn't he?

If so then good anti virus and firewall with both up to date should work.

Like this post
jonem81

Likes # 0

Jock1e Thanks for your reply.

Diemmess

Thank you also ,Diemmess .

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Diemmess

You are quite right I misread the post.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

To help avoid, don't go to dodgy sites and be very careful on what you click on and download.

Like this post
jonem81

Likes # 0

Woolwell Thanks for your reply. jonem81

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

It is only too easy with the best intentions to download something nasty.

Only yesterday I was sent some text to be poshed up for an advert in our village magazine. I don't know what software was used, (the garage is better at cars than it is with computers), but the file had a subscript of .aww

Windows couldn't find anything to open this weird file, but Google search led me to Speedyfix While trying to install, this brought a rash of objections from the Firewall. I persisted briefly and was soon convinced that this Speedyfix was Malware. I couldn't stop whatever was trying to take over.

So perhaps I overreacted, but with a disobedient computer, I shut down and rebooted from the CD to restore a recent copy of (C:)Acronis. All's well again, the only overhead was 40 mins restoring and CClean-ing then updating Windows with the Wednesday security lump.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Thanks Marg7

After a presumed brush with malware I went the longer way round and simply copied with two fingers the small amount of text from a PDF I had already been given.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 release date, new features and compatibility: Free to download from 6pm

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?