We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Lost folder in Outlook

john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have W7, Use Outlook for e mail. I was trying to move an incoming e mail to a folder (lets say Folderwww) by dragging and dropping it into the folder in the left navigation pane. Somehow the whole folder has disappeared. It is not in the deleted file. I cannot find it as a sub folder. Any suggestions?

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Is it in the Recycle Bin?

Or maybe try a Windows search for the folder name

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

When this has happened to me in the past, it has usually ended up as a sub-directory of one of my other folders. In Outlook 2003, I have an "All Mail Folders" list in the left hand column. Within that list, any folders with a sub-directory have a + sign against them.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

QuizMan - I would agree as this has happened to me on more than one occasion.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Happened to me too!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks folks. Co incidentally I had a major crash following last nights W7 updates. The recycle bin is not the culprit. I have looked on folders to find sub directories but so far not found. Will report back after more checks. Tried using Widows explorer but no luck.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Looked in archive folders?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Forgot to ask - do you back up your pst file? If so restore from that.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Woolwell

I usually back them up daily to another drive. Had some rather disturbing medical news recently so have been a bit remiss, but worth a try. The problem is how to get at the file. I keep all my Outlook on my Data File partition in F:\My Documents\My Outlook. In there, and on its back up in I\Backup of my documents\My Outlook is only am "Archive" folder. How to explore it?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

As far as I am aware you cannot explore it.

I still think that the folder is there somewhere. Have you looked under calendar, etc as well as mail? If it is deleted it normally goes into the deleted items first.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Thanks. Will keep looking. Luckily there was nothing too vital lost. Still a pity the back up is so opaque - I wish it were more like W Explorer.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite