We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Shortcut to website not working

ponytail

Likes # 0

I have a shortcut to my online bank account but today when I tried to use the shortcut I could only get in so far then it froze,Have tried several times but no joy.I can get in by typing the address into the address bar.I deleted the shortcut and created a new one but the problem still remains,Anyone any ideas

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

If you have your Online Banking website address in your list of Bookmarks then right click and use the Send To Desktop (create shortcut) If that option is not available then right click COPY and PASTE to desktop.

If not already bookmarked then log in to your Bank Account via your webpage and when on the home page bookmark it and then follow procedure to create a desktop shortcut. Once you see it is working then you can delete any previous one that no longer works.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

If you still have a problem then clear the individual cookie for your Bank.

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

When I was speaking to my bank about a log-in problem one thing that came out of the discussion was that I should NEVER use a bookmark for a bank address but always type the web address in.

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Hi caccy I had the same response when I spoke to my bak about it they do not reccomend using a shortcut to get into the site but to type the address into the address bar instead, Hi northumbria61 how do I clear the individual cookie for my bank and how do I know if the online banking web site is in my list of bookmarks

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I have used a Bookmark for logging on to my Bank for years without any problem whatsoever. Safest way however is to use OSK (On Screen Keyboard)

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Ponytail - How do I know if the online banking web site is in my list of bookmarks From the homepage of your Web Browser whichever one you use click on Bookmarks at top of screen. If you have previously bookmarked this page it should be in that list.

Removing Individual Cookie - For Firefox - Tools - Options - Privacy Tab - Remove Individual Cookies - select the one you want to delete (ie: your Bank one) - Remove Cookie

For Internet Explorer - Tools - Internet Options - Privacy Tab - Sites - Per Site Privacy Action - Type in Address of your Bank - Allow - OK

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

caccy - When I was speaking to my bank about a log-in problem one thing that came out of the discussion was that I should NEVER use a bookmark for a bank address but always type the web address in.

Just to clarify my use of a Bookmark - all the shortcut does is bring up the webpage of the Bank - I still have to log-in so I can't see the reason for the Bank saying NEVER use a bookmark.

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

northumbria61

I believe it is in case your "bookmarks" have been infected by a virus.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

caccy - yes, I take your point.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do