We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problem installing W7 on ssd.

radi8or

Likes # 0

Hi all,

Bought myself a 250GB SSD and trying to install W7 on it, problem is it goes through loading files and the windows logo comes up (starting windows)

I get a glimpse of the green start screen and then the screen goes blank and reboots and starts loading files again.

Have tried changing ports and data cable.

One thing I must confess, I forgot to change over to AHCI in the bios before trying to install OS the first time.

Any tips ideas gratefully received.

TIA.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. Power down
  2. Disconnect the old HDD
  3. Plug in the new SSD into lowest number sata port (SATA0), and attach power cable
  4. GO into BIOS and change all controllers to ACHI
  5. Power up with Windows 7 DVD in DVD drive
  6. Proceed to install Windows 7 on SSD
  7. Power down again once Windows 7 is installed
  8. Plug in HDD cable and power cord
  9. reboot and get your files from old HDD
  10. Install all drivers on new SSD, ie graphics card, ethernet card, printer, mouse, etc....
  11. Install your Protection programs (antivirus antimalware etc.)
Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I would do number 10 before 8 and 9, far more sensible to have all drivers and updates etc installed before worrying about your own files.

Like this post
radi8or

Likes # 0

Thanks for response FB, will give it another go after dindin.

Cheers ;0))

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Chronus

I was think more about getting the driver files from the old drive :0)

Like this post
radi8or

Likes # 0

Cheers guys, just want my desktop back, squinting at a 10" netbook at the moment. :0)

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat

Windows 7 will install most and to be honest it is better to see if there are Windows 7 versions of any drivers not installed IE chipset.

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

If the current system is ok why not clone your existing drive?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...