We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win XP PC won't boot

Hetti
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi I bought a new Samsung wide screen monitor to use with my XP professional PC. I attached the monitor to my PC but there was no power getting to the Monitor so after speaking to Amazon and Samsung technical support they decided I needed a replacement Monitor, so I go back to my old monitor but the PC now won't boot beyond the Win XP screen. I tried to use the Medion application/support disk but I get a message saying something along the lines "The recovery file is missing" I then tried the Medion Recovery disk and the PC again sticks on the Win XP screen.

Help please I had a PC that worked this morning but maybe needed a more modern Monitor..... Now Ive got nothing

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Have you tried booting in 'Safe Mode'?

Do you get any BIOS screen information or 'beeps'?

Did you change any display settings (resolution) for the new monitor?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Boot to safemode by tapping F8 as it starts and select safemode from the list.

go into device manager (control panel - system -hardware - device manger) and uninstall the graphics driver / mointor drivers.

shut down and reboot windows should then boot normally find new hardware and reinstall the drivers for you.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Thanks Going to do that now Will post back

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Hi Guys

I just tried to carry out the above suggestions and the same thing happens ...PC does not pass the XP screen so cannot do any of the ...device manager to uninstall graphics/monitor drivers. I don't know if the new monitor is the start of the problem or if it is a coincidence and the PC would have developed the problems in any case. I'm getting a replacement monitor tomorrow but have no PC to use with it now. Can the new monitor be connected to a laptop just to see if there is a problem with the monitor or if the problem is with my XP pc?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Obviously something has broken. You may need to do a Repair Install which will resolve the problem but will cause you to have to apply all the MS updates again. Fortunately it shouldn't affect any other data.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Yes, you can connect the monitor to a laptop. You will probably have to use Fn plus one of the function keys to toggle between laptop screen and the monitor.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

So you cannot get into safemode?

Yes monitor could be connected to laptop - remember you need to use Fn + one of the F keys (blue square symbol) to cycle from laptop screen to external monitor.

Like this post
markd71

Likes # 0

Remove all usb devices and boot the pc

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Why not try boot safe mode, then run windows restore

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions, by the way the new monitor was a dud replacement worked great (I tried it with a different PC) so I don't know if it did something to my PC when I connected it. I could not get the PC booted using any of the above, so decided to reinstall OS all went OK, all is fine now EXCEPT one small thing when I have a window open the text/picture is great but if I make the window smaller (minimize?) the text goes all wavy as if It was being viewed through water,this had happened on this PC previously but I thought a reinstall would sort that out.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......