We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Excel and 'save as'

Androm

Likes # 0

I have a spreadsheet (excel 2003) which I can modify and use perfectly but it has suddenly stopped me using 'save as'. I can save, I can copy & paste but I cannot 'save as'. On my laptop (XP, Office 2003), where it was created, if I try to 'save as', it crashes. I have copied it to my office computer (Win 7, Office 2010), it offers me a drip down list but the list is blank. Any ideas? Michael

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Skype's "Click to call" caused quite a few problems with Excel, but if I remember correctly it was mainly with the copy function. Can you not copy and paste the spreadsheet into a completely new spreadsheet? I have had this as a problem when somehow or other the initial spreadsheet became corrupted.

Like this post
Androm

Likes # 0

The problem escalates, unfortunately.

Upon further examination, it would appear that ALL of my programs that have a 'save as' featire have the same problem. On my tower computer, running Windows 7, the 'save as' drop down list is blank, even using 'notepad'. On my laptop, using XP, the running program freezes and has to be closed.

Oh my God, what is happening?

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

Please clarify "all of my programs" is this a system wide problem or just the Office suite? If its just your Office suite and you have the same installed on both your machines and you have just done a Microsoft update it could be a recent update thats causing the problem.

Like this post
Androm

Likes # 0

The problem seems to be with any program that offers a 'save as' option. Word, Excel, notpad and the wordprocessor with ACT contact management. I therefore now suspect Windows, except that it happens with my XP computer as well as my Windows 7 computer.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Odd that it is on 2 systems. Do you get any error messages or is "save as" greyed out?

May well be time for a full anti-virus/malware scan.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It could be something to do with file associations.

From the "Tools" menu in Windows Explorer or "My Computer" (or from Control Panel): Go to Folder Options click the View tab and UN-check "Hide extensions for known file types"

Now run sfc /scannow in the command prompt which may correct it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone