We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

free backup program for vista

chrisjohn

Likes # 0

ok this is what i want to do if possible i want to restore my pc to factory settings ....but is their a free backup program that will copy all my settings programs to a external hard drive so once pc is restored i can put everything back if possible thanks.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. you can copy everything as is but that negates the advantage of a factory restore

2. you can back up all your data (vista has a windows backup incorporated in it)

however you cannot backup your programs other than 1. above

if you do a factory restore you will need hen to delete all the preinstalled junk and then reinstall any programs you have added to the laptop.

Why do you want to do a factory restore?

Like this post
chrisjohn

Likes # 0

pc keeps freezing and crashing so i thought lets start afresh ,thnks for reply.

Like this post
chrisjohn

Likes # 0

i also installed a program about 12 months ago which was a bit like ccleaner but it messed all my pc up i have put up with it for 12 months but decided to start again.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Couple of things to try:

1. Search - type

sfc /scannow

press ok

let windows find and replace missing corrupt windows system files.

1. try a vista upgrade over existing system to attempt a repair of vista see here
Like this post
chrisjohn

Likes # 0

thanks but i dont have a vista cd,

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

sfc should work from your preinstalled system .

Like this post
chrisjohn

Likes # 0

ok sfc found system 32 files corupt and unable to repair them ,whats next step?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If the System File Checker tool cannot repair a file, follow these steps:

At an elevated command prompt, copy and then paste (or type) the following command, and then press ENTER:

takeown /f PathAndFile_Name

For example, type takeown /f E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll. Copy and paste (or type) the following command, and then press ENTER to grant administrators full access to the file:

icacls PathAndFile_Name /GRANT ADMINISTRATORS:F

For example, type icacls E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll /grant administrators:F.

Copy and paste (or type the following command to replace the file with a known good copy of the file:

Copy PathAndFileNameOfSourceFile PathAndFileNameOf_Destination For example, type copy E:\temp\jscript.dll E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll.

so you need to list the corrupt files and see if you can copy them from a good machine or borrow a vista DVD.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I think the official MS Vista download links are still viable. You can download direct from links on Heidoc.net page. (no forms to fill in or anything)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

vista iso you can download and burn to disc

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes