We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unable to see wifi network on laptop but can on other computers

SimonBWFC

Likes # 0

We recently had our super hub changed by Virgin and up until then we had several devices which connected to the network. For some reason my wife's laptop is not able to see our wireless network but can see all our neighbours! All other devices see the network and connect with no issue.

What should I be checking?

Simon

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Make sure wifi is enabled on laptop, some have a small (almost invisible) switch on one of the edges - others use a combination of Ctrl and F key, like Ctrl/F4 for instance.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

PS - some laptops have a 'Touch' on/off wifi switch on the above the keyboard, usually with a LED indicator.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

first re-enter the hubs passkey in the laptop see here

Older laptop?

Hub using n frequency

but laptop can only see b/g frequencies make sure hub is broadcasting on g and n

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

If the laptop can see the neighbours then the wifi is probably on. However is the laptop a few years old and is it n standard capable? It is possible that the superhub is broadcasting n only.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

SuperHub has been changed so will the password.No doubt you have changed to the new one but maybe not on the wifes laptop.

Like this post
SimonBWFC

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies.

I think it is likely that the laptop can't see the n frequency.

When the super hub was changed the engineer changed the channel number from 6 to 13. Do some of the channels broadcast different frequencies? I only say this because at one point the laptop in question was working with the super hub.

Thanks again

Simon

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

The new Superhub finds the right which channel to use automatically now so there should have been no need for him to change it.

If you get stuck go to the Virgin Forum they are very good at helping and giving advice.

http://community.virginmedia.com/

They have helped me on a few occasions and work directly with Virgin.No harm in using both forums.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

When I encounter this problem, I buy a cheap n capable dongle such as this.

Like this post
SimonBWFC

Likes # 0

My God that's a small dongle! I'll probably buy that.

As for not having the channel select on auto, it was the Virgin technicians that said it would be a faster connection if connected to a set channel.

I'm still interested to hear if different channels operate different frequencies. I can't check with the laptop as the wife has taken it to work.

Thanks

Simon

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Small it may be, but works a treat!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers