We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Free Demographic mapping software wanted

Phil Ocifer
Resolved

Likes # 0

I think I would like to have a play with some demographic mapping software. Here's the scenario:

I have a list of several thousand customer postcodes and I would like to chart the population onto a map of the local area - something like you see in atlases where the population is coloured one colour and the countryside is another colour. There could be varying depths of colour for greater population density.

Does anybody know of any free software out there that might do this please? I need free because although I'm a business I'm limited with funds and just basically having a play really.

Online would do - i.e I mean I upload the postcode file and it does it for me.

I've had a scout around on google but not really sure what I'm looking for or where to look for the free stuff (if there is any)

Thanks in advance if you can assist.

Cheers Phil

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Anything here to help? enter link description here

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

Thanks northumbria61

I've already googled extensively and most of the results want to GIVE you demographic information rather than let you create your own analysis.

To be honest, I've just had a quick scan of your links and will examine in greater detail later.

Anyone else please?

Thx

Like this post  
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Phil - that 2nd link does say - Create your own GIS maps without the expense of commercial GIS software - middle column just down from the top - hope this helps. I know nothing about this subject so can't advise any further.

Like this post
rnswa

Likes # 0

Check out www.depiction.com. Its not free but they offer a 30 day free trial. You can colorize shapes based on tabular data.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Phil - here's the LINK

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Will have another try - enter link description here

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

Thanks northumbria61. I downloaded the Depiction manual this afternoon and had a quick sneaky look. It explains all the concepts in simple language. I may just have a download and a 30 day trial.

Some of the other software on the first couple of links looked a bit amateur and almost "shareware-ish" in their documentation.

I will close this for now as I'm away for a few days.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Phil

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features