We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

RE-loading windows XP

technician

Likes # 0

It seems I have a trojan virus on my computer. I understand the best way to get rid of it is to reload windows. Can I move other programmes installed on main drive to a external drive, then reload windows XP from recovery drive, then move programmes back ?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

No. You cannot move programs around because their entries in the registry would no longer be correct. They will have to be reinstalled from the original installation media after you've done the reinstallation of Windows.

I suppose you don't have a backup using something like Acronis True Image from before you got the trojan?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Which program has diagnosed the 'trojan virus' and what symptoms/behaviour have you got on your pc that makes you feel that an install is the only answer to clear it?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Try the simple things first enter link description here

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What antivirus program and anti malware programs are you using?

Malwarebytes or SAS are both free and very good

Like this post
technician

Likes # 0

Thanks mgmcc,though that but worth a try. I think spydig said it was a trojan. Tried malwarebytes, pcsafedoctor, pc cleaner pro,stinger, spy emergency,xoftspy and norton 360. Some say nothing is wrong and others find it and do nothing. Computer is very slow, screen freezes, programmes take ages to load or exit and it says (not responding).

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What is the name of the Trojan?

Like this post
technician

Likes # 0

Helminthos

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. Boot your computer into safe mode to close all running processes.

2. Remember to back up your system before making any changes for future restore job when necessary.

3. Remove these TrojanDownloader.Helminthos.fe files:

C:\Program Files\Antivir Solution Pro\AntivirSolution.exe %UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data[random][random].exe

4. Open Registry Editor to delete the following registry entries:

HKEYCURRENTUSER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings 'WarnOnPostRedirect' = '0' HKEYCURRENTUSER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run 'tmp' HKEYCLASSESROOT\secfile HKEYCLASSESROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\SimpleShlExt HKEYCLASSESROOT\CLSID{5E2121EE-0300-11D4-8D3B-444553540000} HKEYCURRENTUSER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments 'SaveZoneInformation' = '1' HKEYCURRENTUSER\Software\Malware Defense

5. It is possibly for TrojanDownloader.Helminthos.fe to load by hiding within the system WIN.INI file and the strings "run=" and "load=". So you must check carefully in order to thoroughly remove it from your computer.

6. It is necessary for you to clean the IE temporary files where the original carrier may store.

7. Rerun malwarebtes on completion to see if it finds it agin

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features