We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HP Pavilion 'Low Disk space' on D Drive (Recovery)??

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, My friend has a very slow vista laptop that im trying to help him with. It has 2gb of Ram, i have run SuperAntispyware and Malwayebytes scans that have found a few nasties but it is still verrrrry slow. I put Avast on there and updated it put when i run a scan it hangs on 1%.

I have the task manager up at the moment with nothing (seemingly) running and the CPU usage is 1% but the memory is permanently on around 770mb.

Please can someone help me out here?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Did it have another AV on there such as MSE or AVG or a trial of Norton etc. Any of these may be clashing and causing the stall.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, I posted that September last year and the thread is locked so i can not add to it.

The update is that the laptop is still slow but the Avast does not 'hang' anymore but the laptop is still slow. i have uninstalled the programs it does not need and use Soluto to disable the programs that need not be started but still my friend gets the message that the Recovery drive is full.

Please can i ask would this impact on the laptop's performance? The C drive has 20gb free out of 200gb.

Thank you in advance.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, sorry for the delayed corrected post.

It previously had AVG i believe. Also, it is Vista and has 4gb ram.

Thank you.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

The C drive has 20gb free out of 200gb.

10% free is very low I like to stick with at least 20%. off load pictures music etc. to an external drive

Use CCleaner to get rid of junk files - remove programs nolonger used - delete some restore points to save space

if system restore is switched on on recovery partition then that could cause the message - you do not need system restore to monitor a recover partition.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thank you Fruit Bat, i have just checked and the system restore does not include the Recovery drive.

Please can i ask does the recovery drive being full have any impact on performance? And i assume that 10% free on the C drive will impact on performance?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Recovery drive is not normally used and shouldn't have any affect on performance. The 10% free will have an impact.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thank you so much. An external drive is to be bought then.....

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features