We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Transferring a recovery partition to a new drive?

silverfox2

Likes # 0

My HP laptop has suffered a partial hard drive failure - I can still boot up into windows but after working for a while it just freezes up.I ran the diagnostic start up tool and it got to 50% before giving me an error message and the news that the drive had failed and should be replaced. I have tried to create recovery discs(I know, I know, I should have done this sooner) to use when I replace the drive ,but this process got to 86% before the computer froze again. I tried this three times but it froze at the same place each time. My question is this : if I copy the contents of the recovery partition to an external drive then copy them back to a new partition on the new drive when installed, can anyone say why that wouldn't work? That seems a much easier solution than burning recovery disks - or is it not a solution at all? I should say that I have used the recovery partition before to reinstall the OS and know that this works so I'm hoping that this part of the drive is still OK. I would welcome any observations or suggestions. Thanks.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Hmm, as it is too late to make Recovery disc,you could try your own suggestion - it might work, it might not, but I don't see you have any other choice under the circumstances

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Never done it but see this link. You could try that and see what happens when you tap the appropriate key at booting with the new hard drive.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

if I copy the contents of the recovery partition to an external drive then copy them back to a new partition on the new drive when installed, can anyone say why that wouldn't work?

If you are lucky it will

but usually this part of the drive need to be bootable and accessed by the BIOS from certain key presses at POST.

Therefore you may need to actually clone the recovery partition to another drive.

If the recovery partition only holds a set of image files (like a MEDION) then you need a bootable recovery CD to run the image files.

Make and model of machine?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

and what O/S is it. XP, Vista, W7?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Like this post
silverfox2

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the tips. The laptop is an HP G7000 running Vista Home Basic. Only just thought of looking at the files on the recovery partition and in fact there's only one,with a drive icon at the beginning, called appropriately "Recovery".Clicking on the file properties shows it to be 4.46MB in size and containing 27 files.Strangely clicking on the drive properties reports used space of 8.94GB with 2.14GB free. As soon as my new drive arrives I'll work through the suggestions and report back. Thanks for your time.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

The Best way it to Image the full Drive, using a Imaging Program Like Acronis True Image or another free one, As with Acronis it only makes a Image of Partition Info and Contents, Not Empty Space. This may avert the bad Clusters on the Drive. If you Clone it will Have problems trying to clone because of the Cluster Problem

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Apple takes on Samsung once again in smartphone...

IDG UK Sites

Just another opinion about Apple's new iPhone

IDG UK Sites

Intel Xeon E5 v3 Haswell processors review: we check out the fastest chips on the planet

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch hands-on review | Apple Watch design, spec, features & UK pricing