We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problem with Google Earth update

john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have W7 Ultimate, IE 9. I had a prompt via my "action centre" to update Google Earth. I downloaded it to my downloads file, but when I ran it it ended up with a "programme not responding" message. I then Uninstalled the programme, downloaded again to ensure the latest programme. Twice the installation seemed to go ok but in the end "Hung" with a small box that said " Loading myplaces kml, including enabled overlays" Eventually a "programme not responding" message appeared. The same thing happens each time I try to launch it . I use Avira Anti virus.I did restart the PC.Any views?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Could not solve it. Used System restore which got me the old working version back.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I've only had W7 for about 10 months but I haven't had a Google Earth prompt in action centre. However following your post I had a go at updating Google Earth. At first it told me that it could not contact the server (linked to your problem?). I then downloaded the latest version 7 (I was still on 6) and it updated.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Thanks for input. My version is 6.2.2.6613 The new one failed. I woll try again sometime.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Weirdly, it installed ok on my wife's laptop, also on W7. I let Chrome install whereas I declined it on the desktop. Will try again one day.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Weirdly, it installed ok on my wife's laptop, also on W7. I let Chrome install whereas I declined it on the desktop. Will try again one day.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I give up on my desktop. I have tried uninstalling, and when the new programme launches, it stops responding as in my opening post. I manage to get the old version back using system restore. Tried all the Googled recommendations such as deleting files in the low roaming folders. It installed well on my laptop. I use Avira on both. Tried disabling it on installation. I cannot waste more time on it.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Google Maps does much of what Google Earth does.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

latestest google earth working fine on w7 but crashes the xp laptop had to uninstall it from xp.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

In the end my problem was solved. I updated my MVidia 7800GTX video card with latest W7 /8 drivers and downloaded and installed Googleearth win-bundle-7.0.1.8244 and all was well.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Still cannot green tick..

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room