We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HP Presario CQ50-110EM

Likes # 0

This laptop switches on then just hangs before boot string. the screen is just blank/Black. I have took it of mains and off battery and have cleared BIOS. The HDD is fine (I have blanked it on another laptop). I would like to try and sort this out my self please, I don't have the money to take it in somewhere.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Will it start in safe mode.

Make sure it is starting with the hard drive as first boot or DVD.

Take it of the mains and battery again and hold down the start button 30 seconds and then refit the battery and mains and try again.

or maybe just try it with the mains without the battery.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Some other things to check until someone can give you the proper information that you need.

Blank screen problems

Like this post

Likes # 0

Can't set a boot order as the screen is blank/Black the fan is running. I will take a look to see if any usb pins are bent, I will try pluging in a monitor or pluging into the HDMI socket

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Is it set for external monitor? try cycling through the FN+ F key (with blue square) F5 on my Tosiba.

Pause between presses as it cycles between LCD screen both and external only but take time to change.

Try plugging in an external monitor / TV that will tell you if its a screen problem or graphics chip.

If screen proble then either backlight or invertor can you see anything on the screen if you shine a bright light on it?

Like this post

Likes # 0

Got it sorted now many thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......