We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Live Mail excessive junk

Muergo
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am resurrecting my previous subject as I have tried all suggestions without success.

I went away for three days and now have 86 in the junk mailbox. So Windows Live Mail is catching them but how can I block them altogether, I have put all sites on both blocked sender and blocked domain lists which doesn't stop them but just puts them in junk list which sometimes can have one message out of all of them which is legitimate.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Thought that I would check my contacts list and my old e-mail address that I was having all the junk e-mails with was still on there so deleted that one and a few others that I no longer use.

Tried the same with 2 of my other e-mail accounts and removed my old e-mail contacts on those as well.

Maybe that will solve my spam problems but probably not.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Jock1e. I doubt that removing your address from your contact list will achieve anything. Removing it from someone else's list may well. This could be a website, company or person.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Woolwell

I have them marked as spam and a few days later the same e-mails are appearing again.

There are not many at the moment so will wait and see if they get worse.

Only on the one e-mail address no problems on the other ones.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If you are curious where they really come from, you may find this info useful:

How to read email headers and Email header: where the spam starts

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

As a matter of interest have you registered with My Offers? I have a suspicion about them and spam, no firm evidence.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

I have not changed my email address yet because that would involve notifying hundreds of sites, some of which might be the leaky one. Yesterday I had sixty diverted to the junk file but amongst those were precisely two that I wanted to see, so even though I can clear the file in one click, I still have to check every title to see where it came from.

I requested one, PPI Services to stop, but that has no effect.

As far as my ISP is concerned, they are diverting them so I don't see what else they can do, unless they block all messages that are not on my approved senders list which is a bit impractible

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Your problem may well have been created by using the same email address on hundreds of sites. You may well need to establish a throw away email address for some sites.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Had the same problem a few years ago. Good mail in the junk. Had to persevere and go through them, deleting most of them but needing one or two. Over time the problem faded away. Still get junk but only two or three now. Deleting without opening might send a signal to spammers that it's a dead end? I don't know but you will see a drop in the junk mail folder after a while. Pain in the butt if you want to keep your email addy.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

Yes I am deleting without opening, with that one exception which I requested to stop, lets just hope they fade away after a while as you say, but I have no way of knowing where the lead started, could even be someone at a hospital or similar government organisation who is getting paid for addresses. There are more people with my email address than have my phone number.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I use WLM and I started getting a lot of spam mail on my MSN account.

Got fed up with it and downloaded oulook.com and it was not long before I started getting spam mail on that.

As it also had my MSN Account on it I deleted it from there and from WLM hoping that would solve the problem.

But no it started getting worse.Just went back into Outlook yesterday and searched everywhere for the problem and finally found it in outlook security questions.

When I opened the outlook account it asked for another e-mail address that the could use in case I forgot my password and I had used the msn e-mail address.

Deleted it yesterday and so far no more spam e-mails.

lets hope that that sorted it for good.I had 80 odd spam e-mails to delete yesterday so lets hope the is no more.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014