We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is the W7 installation DVD an iso file

Digital

Likes # 0

I have a genuine W7 installation DVD; is the data on there in the form of an iso file?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

No, it is a bootable install DVD.

an .iso file is a compressed image of a CD/DVD that you would burn to a CD/DVD using a program such as ImgBurn (free) http://www.imgburn.com/

If you want to have a look at the contents of the DVD you have: Hold down the Shift key on keyboard and put the DVD in drawer, keep the Shift key held down until DVD drive light activity stops. You can then look at the files in Windows Explorer as you would with any other drive listed.

Holding down the shift key stops the DVD from automatically running the menu for choices of what you want to do.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I should have said, nothing terrible will happen if you don't hold down the shift key. You would just have to X close the menu to exit the DVD and then you could look at the contents in Windows Explorer.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

No but you can make an iso file of your dvd to burn to another DVD as a backup in case your original gets lost, scratched or otherwise damaged.

Like this post
Digital

Likes # 0

Thank you lotvic & Fruit Bat. What I really want to do is make an iso file from an installation DVD so's I can then make a bootable USB key for a netbook using the Windows 7 USB tool which only offers a choice of an iso file as a source. Any ideas gratefully accepted!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

You can get an iso from here

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yep, use ImgBurn to 'create image file from disc' (image file is the .iso file) you save that to a folder on your hard drive. Then you 'write image file to disc' (you should have option in rightclick menu 'Burn using Imgburn') or you can open Imgburn and click on menu.

Like this post
Digital

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone. I used ImgBurn to create the image file but when I tried to use the W7 USB/DVD download tool, it said "...not a valid iso file". I'll recreate the image tomorrow, see if that helps.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Contactless payments to launch on London public transport this year

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

NASA offers free 3D models of satellites, probes and planets for 3D printing and animation projects