We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Formatting Pdf with Word 2002

SweetPotato72

Likes # 0

Hi - I've copied a Pdf doc into Word 2002. Unfortunately though it doesn't show complete line across the doc and instead goes half way and then breaks to the next line (like one of two columns without the right hand one). Can I highlight all 300 pages and correct so it looks right ? Thanks for any thoughts.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

I think you'll find that there is a carriage return at the end of each line. Turn on "Show/Hide" non-printing characters to see. (It's the reverse"P" icon on the toolbar usually next to the zoom %)

If that is the case it's not an easy task to change 300 pages in one go. Post back.

Like this post
SweetPotato72

Likes # 0

Thanks for replying.there is indeed a symbol/carriage at the end of each shortened line. Any methods short of manually changing every line would be gratefully received !

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

It's a long time since I worked Office 2002! Basically with 300 pages this could take time and isn't ideal. First of all make a backup copy of the file and use that to try the alternatives.

The basic choice is to either manually remove those line breaks OR to remove all the line breaks en bloc. So we'll try the latter first working on your copy. Open Word and use the CTRL + H key combination to open Find/Replace. At the bootom of the dialog box there should be an advanced link. Try that - we are looking for the "Special" option which gives the option to replace (or Remove) the Paragraph Character. We want Word to remove them selectively and replace with a space.

Sorry this is a bit vaugue! Having got the paragraph symbol in the Find Box simply put a space in the Replace box. Now you want to click on the Find Next button and Word should skip to it - then choose Replace of Find Next again if you don't want to remove that particular paragraph character.

You could try clicking the replce all button but this will do just that and you will have all the text in one massive block and have to go through the whole document to put paragraphs back in again. That's why I've suggested making a backup copy of the document to work on.

Tip: The Underlined Character such as the "R" on Replace or "N" maybe "F" on Find Next is a shortcut key. Pressing the underlined character is the same as clicking the button - you may find that quicker than clicking your way through the document. In any event it will take time.

Just work out which option is going to work for you and podt back with any problems.

Like this post
SweetPotato72

Likes # 0

Taff - you are a legend - doc looks great now (only missing paragraphs but minor point). I suspected there was a means to do what I needed and as usual this forum comes to the rescue ! You've saved me lots of time and effort so a million thanks

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

SweetPotato72,

You will probably find that all the proper new paragraphs in your document are two carriage returns while the new line ones are just one carriage return.

If you find and replace all the double carriage returns by a character that doesn't appear in your document, say ##### (a string of 5 hash characters) before you replace all the single carriage returns by a space, then you can find and replace the ##### by a carriage return, thereby putting all the proper paragraphs back in place.

Peter.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

SweetPotato72 - Thanks. Haven't been referred to as a "Leg End" on this forum for ages! At least my memory is intact! Just give me a tick next to my long post and I'll be happy.

Peter - Great suggestion. If they are, as you quite rightly suspect, half carriage returns (Paragraph marks) they can be replaced the same way through advanced options but only by copying the character (In Word) pasting into the Find box and repeating the above. It's a bit difficult to descibe the difference between what is called a "Forced Break" and a paragraph mark.

Never mind. For a 10 year old Word Program it still works! So, if you need any more assistance SweetPotatoe72 just post back.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Peter and Taff - I think that you are referring to soft returns as opposed to the normal hard return.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Woolwell - yes they are. Don't know where I got my term from! Anyway they are achieved by using the Shift Key and Enter key in combination.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger