We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Belarc query

Ozy

Likes # 0

belarc advisor gives a totally different key number to the key number I installed Windows 8 on, this also applies to my second computer, and Windows 7 on my laptop. has anyone tried to install with a belarc key, would it work? I ask only as a passing interest

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Ozy, the penny has just dropped for me, I think, about Retail and OEM for the upgrade. I had win 7 retail on main desktop and upgraded to 8 and that makes the licence retail. You'll need the win 7 retail key to re-insall on a new PC to upgrade again. Obviously only on one PC.

I also upgraded to 8 from an OEM Vista licence, so I'm thinking that the upgrade on that machine will be OEM and that it will expire with the machine. There is a PDF of the agreement here . It states that it is upgrading the original software, so that make Win 8 on the laptop OEM.

Like this post

Likes # 0

rdave13, re: grandchildren and now seeminly dead harddrive - youngest one had chucked it about methinks - anyway it doesn't spin up.

Ozy, re W8 and keys, I need to do a lot more learning before I understand how it works with each type. But in general the key that free keyfinders throw up is not the proper key for W8 so my opinion is that it wouldn't work for install.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If its pre-installed they use a Key generator that as been supplied them by MS

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...