We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Belarc query

Ozy

Likes # 0

belarc advisor gives a totally different key number to the key number I installed Windows 8 on, this also applies to my second computer, and Windows 7 on my laptop. has anyone tried to install with a belarc key, would it work? I ask only as a passing interest

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Are all these installs ones you have done from a DVD and typed in the product key? or did second pc and laptop come pre installed and product key is different to the sticker on case?

My retail W7 that I installed from DVD matches with key that SIW (free) finds. I haven't tried it with belarc.

Have you tried any other key finders to see if you still get same result?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You can only find a retail disc key. OEM keys are well hidden for a reason I suspect. If you upgraded to Win 8 on the back of another Windows OS then it is an OEM version. Tied to the motherboard and non transferrable. If you have the retail Win 7 disc then you can install that again once the win 8 upgraded PC dies. What do you expect for 28 squids, or thereabouts ,from Microsoft? :)

Like this post
Ozy

Likes # 0

firstly, the Windows 7 I upgraded from was retail, and the windows 8 is also a 50quid retail, I have just tried Magic Jelly Bean, and that gave me a completely different number

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

50 squids retail? I don't think so.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I have no problem finding my Dell oem pre-installed pre-activated product key for XP. Although that key will not be accepted for an install from DVD and I would have to use the key on the case sticker.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic Win 8 is another step in hiding the key. You can't install without typing the key. Totally different to the other previous Windows OSs. Person at work seems to be confident that 8 can be downloaded, installed and activated by, I assume, P2P illegal downloads. He's been doing similar stuff for a while so will be getting a call from his ISP, I should think, to state that they monitor his downloads in the near future.

Lets be clear about Win 8 upgrade, it's OEM, dies with the PC, needs key as installation continues otherwise fails.

Oh yes , a good OS, with or without touch screens in my very humble opinion.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I didn't mention Windows 8 rdave13, (you seem to be a bit tetchy these days?) I thought it was known that the free keyfinders will return a wrong key for W8.

However they should work ok for W7. I can't doublecheck on that as am a harddrive short at mo' as grandchildren got click happy at half term... :(

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic , my apologies if I seem tetchy but I don't mean to be so. The free key finders will not work with Win 7 unless retail. Same with Vista.

XP is so long ago then these key finding registry software might work. I don't know.

Let your grand children look at the PC but always let them hammer an old laptop, which you've created an image from, and a good stock of keyboard keys.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

My W7 is retail. I had xp on separate harddrive, swapped over and set up for lads as it works better for their games. Little tykes plugged my w7 hdd in as well... now seems dead as dodo. Am waiting for delivery new drives to restore image to. Mental note to self - make sure hdd's are safely under lock and key and not in same room. Am counting my blessings that my data is on a different hdd and is intact (and it's backed up to an ext harddrive as well)

I don't know much of anything about w8 other than w8 oem pre-installed has the product key in bios and inserts key without user input if o/s is reinstalled. Don't think you even get a sticker with key on case.

That doesn't apply to upgrades obviously.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

" plugged my w7 hdd in as well... ", wonder what went through your mind when you realised what they'd done lol!

Strange that the drive died though.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...