We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do I get rid of lines of red dots across my monitor?

millerfamily5

Likes # 0

Hi

I recently purchased a computer in Sep 2012 from Dino PC. It has been running very well apart from an irritating red dot problem.

My pc has an Intel i5 3570k processor (not over clocked) which has no additional graphics card and runs using the on board graphics HD 4000. I dont play computer games.

I have connected my monitor (a Hanns G HG 216D) to another computer to check that my monitor or cables were not at fault and the lines of red dots do not appear.

I have also connected my monitor to my pc with an HDMI cable and they still appear. These red dots didn't appear immediately when I first had the pc. I believe that they began to appear once I started updating my pc with the latest windows 7 updates (x64 bit).

The red dots appear each time I switch on the pc at the very bottom edge of the screen then when the Asus screen appears (motherboard is Asus p8z77-V LX) across the middle of the screen, then again when the windows 7 start up screen appears.

They then appear again if I have an image in the centre of the screen which is a dark block. In this case they are grouped together in a horizontal block to the centre right of the dark area.

The line of dots only appears horizontally and in red on dark screens.

Occasionally I have seen the same lines of dots on a light coloured block in the centre right of the screen when the dots are pale blue and in the same formation.

If I move the mouse over the red dots when they appear in a centre block of a dark colour the red dots momentarily disappear.

Any advice on how to remove these dots would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks

Richard

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I agree with woodchip, if it's not working right now who knows what faults will develop. Doesn't bode well. It could conk out altogether by December and then you would have heck of a job sorting it out over the holiday period.

If you start tinkering with it and making do they could blame you for causing damage and faults.

Make a backup copy image of your harddrive so you don't/won't lose any data or settings.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It wouldn't harm to run the dxdiag to test the graphics

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/Diagnosing-basic-problems-with-DirectX

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Apple takes on Samsung once again in smartphone...

IDG UK Sites

Just another opinion about Apple's new iPhone

IDG UK Sites

Intel Xeon E5 v3 Haswell processors review: we check out the fastest chips on the planet

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch hands-on review | Apple Watch design, spec, features & UK pricing