We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Internet intrusion by popup adverts

Baslar

Likes # 0

Hi,

I have noticed an increasing tendency for popup adverts to appear every time I move my mouse over any highlight on the Internet. They are nothing but a confounded nuisance. Is there anything can be done to stop them?

Thanks

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Do not Track Plus This could help

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

they are variously called: Mouseovers, skimlinks, intellitext and others. A form of advertising that generates income for the website (like adverts on TV) any advice to stop them is not popular with Site Admin (posts seem to vanish) suggest you google for how to block them.

Like this post
spiderlegz

Likes # 0

The most effective advert/popup bocking program that I sometimes use is called Peerblock. Works a treat & you can get it here for free. Run the program before you start surfing & say goodbye to those pesky adverts!

Like this post
Baslar

Likes # 0

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion of Peerblock.

I have installed it but now it is blocking sites I want to access. If I then allow HTTP I get the site to load but then the very popup adds I want to stop appear again. I have to confess that I don't fully understand how to use this program. It talks about creating lists but how do I do that. I see the List Manager but if I need to enter a name I wish to block how do I know what that should be. The site I use a lot is Flightsim.com. Obviously they have agreed to these popup ads but the trouble is they are not allowing me to use any of their hightlighted links because if I try to use them all I get is a flaming advert appear. It all seems to be rather pointless.

Cheers, Baslar

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Hmmm. Think you might be better with the free adblock.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I use AdBlockPlus addon with Fanboy's List, for Firefox. It stops almost all of the Affiliate Links. It can be turned on or off for all or just one site or page. This gives greater control as I can choose to see the adverts or not (if they become too intrusive) I can also add my own list to block and view the blocked ones. To see which affiliate is sending the advert just hover your mouse over the link and look at the bottom bar in browser and you can see the url who is serving it to you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone