We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Free Simple Image Restore \ Creation

stevec59
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, I just wondered if there was a Free, easy to use way of creating an image of my PC, that I can then burn to a DVD and restore my PC to the state that is is now?

The reason for this is that I have just rebuilt my XP PC and installed all the drivers,so to save all the hassle of installing XP and finding Drivers in the future,is there a Free application that will allow me to create a Bootable DVD.

Thanks

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

The image would not fit on a single DVD. You are better to have image file stored on an external harddrive and use with the image programs boot CD/DVD (which you create and burn)

There are lots of free programs and usually the harddrive manufacturers provide a download of their free version of Acronis True Image or similar.

Seagate/Maxtor http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/discwizard/

Western Digital Acronis True Image WD Edition Software http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119

There are other programs available to download and others will prob suggest them. (I use Acronis)

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 1

Paragon is FREE - there are others available enter link description here

Like this post  
rdave13

Likes # 0

I use the paid for version of Paragon but a lot recommend the free version of EasUS Todo.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If its only just Had Drivers and updates, not programs, it should fit on a DVD, but you would need Acronis Media to do it. Not Free though

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS if its more than one DVD Acronis will split the Image to fit on DVD's

Like this post
stevec59

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the replies, I like the look of Paragon, to save me reading all the blurb, is it easy to create a Bootable DVD?

I think it would fit on 1 DVD, I could try.

Steve

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yes it's easy to create the boot CD. I would advise reading the 'blurb' which will enable you to understand what you are doing and why it needs to be done. I cannot see the point in anyone using their time trying to put into words the excellent tutorial with screenshots that is on northumbria61's link that you have put your green tick next to.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

Paragon will automatically ask you to create a bootable CD. This Linux based CD is used to boot the PC so you can 're-install' from an image on a partition or USB hard drive/flash drive. The bootable 'recovery' CD uses the PC's ram to search for an image to restore the hard drive. When you create an image, may I suggest you create a folder first, name it Paragon image 1 date. Create the image into the folder. It makes it so much easier to select the correct image. Change further images with 2 and date etc. Delete images you no longer need except the first one and the last two created. No point creating an image of a corrupt system.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK