We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do I get "un-zip" in the contecs window ?

EARLR
Resolved

Likes # 0

it was there before.

Like this post
EARLR

Likes # 0

I typed " and un "

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

your unzip program will usually put it there when you install it.

operating system?

zip program? winzip? 7 zip?

Like this post
EARLR

Likes # 0

An unzip program was on the window when right clicked WIN7

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

To restore the Extract All option to Windows' context menus you must associate ZIP files with Windows Explorer

First, launch Windows Explorer (hold down the Windows key and tap E) and use it to find a ZIP file that you have downloaded. Right-click the file, click ‘Open with’ and elect ‘Choose default program’. In the ‘Open with dialogue box’ menu, click to select Windows Explorer from the Recommended Programs, ensure that the ‘Always use the selected program to open this kind of file’ box is ticked and click OK. Now return to Windows Explorer and right-click the ZIP file to see if the Extract All option is returned.

If it isn’t there, Microsoft suggests a couple of alternative solutions. The first involves a backdoor Registry tweak, so you should back up the Registry first – see Microsoft’s guide to doing this. Now click Start followed by run, type cmd into the Open box and press Enter. Then, at the command prompt, type regsvr32 /u /s zipfldr.dll and press Enter.

Now type regsvr32 /i /s zipfldr.dll and press Enter. Keep the Command window open for now, return to Windows Explorer and right-click on a ZIP file to see if Extract All has returned to the context menu. If not, return to the Command window, type sfc /scannow, press Enter and sit back for a while. Windows will now scan its system files to fix any faults it finds, which should correct the problem if all else has failed.

Like this post
EARLR

Likes # 0

Thanks FB. I will try the sfc ?scannow method if I can remember how to make myself an Admin again

Like this post
EARLR

Likes # 0

Tried scannow didnt find anything and unzip is still not in menu I am a little disletic and a little worried about reg edit. any other ideas ?

Like this post
EARLR

Likes # 0

I had no problems unzipping last week .

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

See if it says 'extract all' instead of unzipping.

Like this post
EARLR

Likes # 0

no rdave it doesn't Sorry I use unzip rather than extract (OLD HABIT)

Like this post
EARLR

Likes # 0

Sorry; I say unzip rather than extract (Very Old Habit)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...