We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 Upgrade

woodchip
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just run the Upgrade Wizard, it say my Laptop HP510 2.13Ghz Centrino Does not meet speck it says my CPU is less than 1Ghz. I think it cannot read the CPU as its a Pentium M

What do you say? it only said the above

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

My understanding of it is that if you have been running Windows 7 then you should have no problem with Windows 8

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I ran it for XP home everything else passed. Looks like the Wizard is not up to the Job of reading a Mobile CPU for win8

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I've an Intel Celeron M CPU 1.7 GHz on the laptop and the upgrade wizard recognized that.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

It may but mine is a Cemtrino 2.13Ghz Total different CPU

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It is totally different but you said you thought it wasn't up to the job of reading a Mobile CPU for win8.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I think it may be a Stepping CPU, so it only uses full power when its under full load. That may be why it does not see it for what it is. This CPU is a proper Laptop though its about 5 to 6 years old I can use it on my Lap Without getting burned. at the moment it only just warm, if it was water you would say its aired

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

The Upgrade Wizard said it was less than 1Ghz and not up to running 8 but as above its a 2.13hz cpu

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Could be just a blip? Not reading the CPU correctly. It is a bit odd, though. Have you tried setting the power option to high performance and running the wizard again?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Cannot change it anywhere in Control Panel. It changes automatic with the Demand placed upon the CPU

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

If the issue is related to a speed step CPU not running at full speed, you could try SpeedSwitchXP:

http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/

It enables you to set the cpu to run at a variety of levels (e.g. maximum speed, maximum battery time, auto switching depending on load etc.). I've had it on my XP laptop for some years.

BTW, I ran the Win8 Upgrade Assistant on my XP lappie and it crapped out without running all the way thru 'cos the lappie has less than 1GB and Win8 requires at least 1GB. I can't see why the Assistant doesn't run all the way through regardless and report ALL the issues with a system rather than stopping at each hurdle (that then has to be fixed before trying again). On another XP PC it wouldn't run fully 'cos it though the HDD was <20GB as the XP partition was only 10GB (so I had to restructure the partitions just to get it to run).

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more