We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

First gaming desktop

Sunsetrival96

Likes # 0

I am looking to buy my first gaming desktop. I want to be able to play games like Skyrim, Age of Empires,LOTR:online,Guild Wars 2 and the like. I am wondering what "off the shelf" pcs would be a good start or even where I should begin if I wanted to build my own pc. Thanks.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

You don't have to spend a fortune, to get a reasonably high performance gaming rig. FORGET i7, it's a total waste of money for gaming. No game uses it, and won't for probably 5 years. i7 is for design/3D modelling/video/photo; not gaming. i5-3570K is the optimum processor, with a Z77 mobo. Something like this will give you a really good gamer, without wasted "frills".gaming parts list

You could add an SSD, something like Samsung 830 128GB for snappier performance, if you wish.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

For reference, performance benchmarks for HD7870, compared, with, say, HD7770.

Anandtech GPU Benchmarks

With overclocking, and latest drivers, you would actually achieve better results.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Forget i7? Why frybluff ?

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

I agree that an i7 sandybridge E is a bit overkill , but an i7 ivy bridge is absolutely fine , and will certainly perform better than i5 .

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Different i7 CPUs at the same site and Novatek click here is similar but a tad more expensive.

Trouble is that thinking a certain CPU is overkill is that in six months the same sentiments won't be true. Especially with gaming.

Sunsetrival96 , I can only suggest you follow up advice here and also do your own research via a search engine. Most importantly of all, stick to your budget.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

I have nothing against i7. It's better than i5 for stuff like photography. I have i7, myself, but I didn't get it for its gaming capabilities, where it gains you ZERO over i5. That's because not one game uses the hyperthreading of i7, and the concensus, in gaming community, is that there's a timescale of 5 years, before many do, as there's simply no financial incentive for game producers to write for a niche market. When i7 starts to become the norm, then you'll start to see games use it, but by then, any processor bought today, would be due for replacement, anyway. Here are the benchmark comparasons, between i5 and i7. i7 is better at some benches, but not those, useful in gaming.

i5/i7

The point is, if you are on a tight budget, for a predominanely gaming rig, take the extra £70+ that you would have spent on i7, and get a better graphics card, that will gain you something. Spending extra for i7, in an £800 GAMING rig is wateful.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G3 release date, price, specs and new features 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

NAB 2014: Affordable 4K cameras, boundary-pushing plug-ins & drone domination