We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to drag and drop

ponytail

Likes # 0

I have never used this facility before so can anyone advise.How do I drag and drop a file from one folder to another when only one folder is open

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Forgot to mention I am using windows 7

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Open the second folder as well - you may need to reduce size of folders to fit alongside each other. Then left-click and hold mousse button on item to be moved and drag it across to the receiving folder. Simples!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

You don't need to open the destination folder at all. As long as it is visible you can simply drop the file on the folder icon and it will be inserted. Of course, if you want to insert the file into a sub-folder within the destination folder you must open it first - then drop the file on the sub-folder's icon.

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Thanks for the advice what I am trying to do is download a few music tracks for my wife.They are located in a folder within documents.I went into media player and it says drag and drop on the R/H side but how do I get the folder within documents open whilst media player is still open.On my last PC I used XP and it was so simple I would just click on move folder select where to move it to and click move is there nothing like this on Windows 7

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

You should still get 'move to folder' - 'copy to folder' in Win 7 when you right-click on an item.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If this is to do with the burn music cd in Media Player....

You need to add the files to Windows Media Player Library. (File - Add to library)

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Thanks for advice the following is what I have been doing.Went into documents opened folder A then folder B which contains CD 1 and CD 2 clicked on CD 1 to bring up tracklist then opened media player and drag and dropped selected tracks onto media player where it says drag items here to create a playlist then clicked on burn but start burn icon not highlighted any more advice appreciated

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Do you have the original cd's? How did the contents of the cd's get into the folders?

The way I would do it, is put cd in tray, with media player open, stop it playing and then rip the tracks I wanted to the pc, then dragged the ripped tracks (now in media player's library) to the burn list.

Alternatively you will need to add the tracks to WMP's library and then drag them to the burn list.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

After you add files to your Player Library, you can play the files, burn mix CDs, create playlists, sync the files to portable music and video players, and stream the files to other devices on your home network. There are several methods you can use to add files to your Player Library: ClickHere

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Hi nontek have tried what you suggested right clicking on the item but neither move to folder or copy to folder appear

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch R video review: The most desirable Android Wear smartwatch

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming th)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad