We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Missing COA Sticker - Acer Aspire

onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Windows 7 laptop. Failed HDD, no recovery discs and sticker rubbed. Assume I will have to buy a key. Have Googled, but would prefer personal recommendation as to where to buy a genuine key at a sensible price. Thanks

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If you could copy the recovery partition to 2nd partition on a new harddrive you could then mark it active and it should boot into the recovery process (menu) to install the image. Might not work but worth a shot.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

How old is the laptop? It may be covered by warranty.

Have you contacted Acer?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks for the tips which I'll try later. Laptop way out of warranty.

Tried to launch the recovery (Alt - F10) yesterday - seemed to be working, then stalled at the same point as all the other attempts, so not sure copying the partition across will work, but will give it a go..

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

I had the same problem when I tried the recovery.Almost finished running it and it stopped.

I did manage to run chkdsk a few times and it would stick at the same bit every time and that was with both boxes ticked.

Not sure if you can run chkdsk from a caddy but worth a try if you can.With the one box ticked on chkdsk it would finish running but with the two boxes ticked it stopped at the same spot every time.

Let us know how you get on with running the recovery partition, if it works I could always put it back on my grandaughters laptop.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Was able to run chkdsk with the drive in the caddy, but it failed to correct problems, so the drive is duff. Could see the recovery partition, but not the contents and could not copy it across. Looking more like a new copy of W7 will be needed, just to get the COA!

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

onthelimit1, when you get a replacement drive fitted, you may want to try here and order the genuine Acer recovery media for your customer's laptop. At least that way you'll get a legitimate version of Windows and it'll install all the necessary drivers and original applications (such as Office Starter 2010 if it was pre-loaded). Unfortunately the link is for the US Acer site but it may work just fine after you enter the laptop's serial number.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

you will need to clone the drive not copy it

try cloning the whole drive to a be new one

or first try this to extract the key from the drive in the caddy

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The UK Acer operations may also be able to provide discs UK Store contact

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks all. I'll try the Acer recovery route on Monday.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Cheaper way to go, as it worked for me, but you end up with a different Windows, is to download the appropriate win 7 iso, 32 or 64-bit for your machine (see lotvic's link). Install as a trial (no key). Buy the upgrade Win 8 on that machine, it will automatically download 32 or 64-bit version. If the machine is 64-bit capable then install Win 7 64-bit (important) first. Select Win 8 to install later and to burn an iso image. The email will give the key. Cost about £29 with VAT. Win 8 is basically 7 with allowances for touch screens and apps. Still 7 on the desktop with a different start.

Worth thinking about.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 release date, price, specs, new features: world's thinnest tablet also gets Touch ID

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Will Photoshop work with Yosemite? And will Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro or the other A?......

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...