We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Missing COA Sticker - Acer Aspire

onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Windows 7 laptop. Failed HDD, no recovery discs and sticker rubbed. Assume I will have to buy a key. Have Googled, but would prefer personal recommendation as to where to buy a genuine key at a sensible price. Thanks

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Try phoning Microsoft in Reading (assuming you are in UK) ... 0844 800 2400.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If you know anyone with Acer laptop you should be able to use their disc as it'll have the same oem slp key - the factory pre-activated mass install - does not require you to input a key - it checks its unattended install key with code in bios (that is not the unique key that is on each sticker, which when used needs input and phone activation) Google for oem slp key

You can download and burn an official MS W7 iso from links on heidoc.net

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Just wondering if you could install W/7 again without activating it and then purchase W/8 download from the internet for £25.

Just something to think about.

I think Acer will charge you round about the £60 for the set of CD's to reinstall W/7

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Just a thought,You can buy a caddy from Amazon for about £4 and that lets you get into your hard drive but whether you would also find the keycode while in there I don't know.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Tried the HDD in a caddy, that's how I know it's defunct. I would hesitate to recommend W8 to anyone at the moment.

Thanks for the phone number Lotvic. Sadly, no one seems to bother to burn recovery discs. I have a W7 disc (several in fact), but guess that that won't work with the key in your link?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Sorry - not keys in your link, but keys that Google has pointed to.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Will the old hard drive not work at all.I could get my grandaughters to work in safe mode not very well mind you.If it will start in safe mode there are programs that you can download that will tell you what the keycode is.

Just wondering if acer hard driver are not the best,My Grandaughters Acer Aspire Laptop was about 15 months old when the hard drive went on that.Lucky enough we could just make out the keycode on the bottom of it. Maybe a bit of sellotape over it when new may be a good idea with laptops.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

Have to agree about W/8 but I was only thinking about the cheapest way to do it.

I am giving it another week or two then I will put the Start button and all programs back on it to see if it is any easier to use.

I think it maybe an age thing the older you are the less likely that you will like it.

Gave my Grand Son a shot of it the other day and he loved it.Wants a laptop with W/8 on it now for Xmas.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

No - can't get access to the drive at all. Even when trying a repair with W7 disc, it reaches a certain point and then all disc activity stops. In a caddy, it shows as a main partition and the recovery one, but can't get any further.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

No, oem slp keys are tied to the manufacturers bios (anti-piracy). Perhaps you could persuade others to burn the discs, before they end up in same boat as you? (or add suici to the end of my previous search term, you could have a go at making one)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 release date, price, specs, new features: world's thinnest tablet also gets Touch ID

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Will Photoshop work with Yosemite? And will Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro or the other A?......

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...