We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do I 'optimize' my website?

geek84

Likes # 0

Hi Folks

I am near to completing my website for a home based business and was wondering if anybody would be kind enough to tell me how I could make sure my website comes 'near the top of the list' when someone uses a search engine to find out more about the services that I will be offering . Is this type of thing called 'optimization?'

Thanks in advance for your response.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

This really belongs in our Webdesign forum. I'm transferring it over from Beginners' Tech Help now.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

For some reason my transfer slipped through the net, and the move was delayed until today. Entirely my fault, and I apologise.

Like this post
JJWatkins88

Likes # 0

1.Start to do your research, use google keyword tool to check what traffic is coming though for your search terms. Then write "Keyword Rich" content on your for your website, try starting local to where you live, for example "Plumbers London" this is a less competitive way depending on what you do!

2.Then get exchange links! Ask as many people as possible to put your website on their.

3.Be patient, alot of SEO montioring the results be this can take while!

Hope this help!

JJ

Like this post
Ansolan

Likes # 0

I'm sure JJWatkins is trying to help but to be clear:

The suggestion "try starting local to where you live, for example "Plumbers London" this is a less competitive way depending on what you do!" is a good idea.

However:

" Then write "Keyword Rich" content on your for your website,

2.Then get exchange links! Ask as many people as possible to put your website on their."

Are two examples of exactly what you should not do.

Neither does the site linked in the following post offer sound advice.

Just focus on creating a website users will appreciate, maybe encourage them to help spread the word and keep focusing on quality, content above all, technical where you can.

Like this post
JJWatkins88

Likes # 0

Ansolan, What I mention are incorrect ways of optimising a website for a “search engine”, as the first post asks “how I could make sure my website comes 'near the top of the list' when someone uses a search engine to find out more about the services that I will be offering”, As the way are many different techniques that can be applied in SEO. However I believe that you are thinking more along the lines of CRO (conversion rate optimisation) than SEO. Your comment “Just focus on creating a website users will appreciate, maybe encourage them to help spread the word and keep focusing on quality, content above all, technical where you can” was not what the post asked. But if you’re critiquing me method!

*Before you ask! CRO or Conversation Rate Optimisation is to optimise a website so it engages the user and encourages them to act, i.e. purchase a product, call a number or share information. Where to focus on creating a website users will appreciate, maybe encourage them to help spread the word and keep focusing on quality, content above all, technical where you can, comes into play!

Like this post
Ansolan

Likes # 0

Sure your input was appreciated, so wasn't trying to criticise, just help. To be clear though:

"Just focus on creating a website users will appreciate, maybe encourage them to help spread the word and keep focusing on quality, content above all, technical where you can” was not what the post asked"

That's exactly what the post asked:

"how I could make sure my website comes 'near the top of the list' when someone uses a search engine"

The answer was entirely appropriate. What many people regard as SEO, keywords, arranging links, using tags for search not people etc. etc. have in many cases not been much use for a long time, had as much chance of getting your site dumped as helping and are now pretty much dead in the water.

Search has been changing the last couple of years, more so in the last year. Search engines just want their algorithms/robots to be like people and react the same. Many additions since but this offers a little insight:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Panda

Incidentally named after Nav Panda, a person, not a bear.

A comment from one of the search engineers at this year's Mozcon maybe sums it up:

"At least there'e one goods thing about 98% of SEO people are doing now, doesn't actually do anything."

Like this post
jonasmarsh621

Likes # 0

Yes, I totally agree with Ansolan. You can start out locally and slowly build on it. One word of advice, you should be PATIENT. I put a big emphasis on it since you are going to need it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer