We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

USING A VACUUM CLEANER

liloldlady

Likes # 0

Hi, I have noticed a lot of advisors telling us to us compressed air to clean laptops. I a vacuum cleaner not a good idea to use on vents?...Thanks

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

I too use a vac. It is care and moderation that is needed whether you suck or blow. The danger with suction is allowing the nozzle to form a seal and so dislodge or damage the less robust parts of the innards.

I use a cheap small paintbrush to clean the fan blades and other accumulations, but always under the draft of the vac which nozzle is as close as possible to the scene

Blowing and particularly from an aerosol is expensive and though gentle, will scatter the dust willy nilly. Having said that, it is whatever serves you best.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I have on the very odd occasion used a vacuum cleaner with extreme care. Not done any harm to my machines, and it runs out far cheaper than perhaps using compressed air cans.

Some of the £shops seem to stock computer cleaning aids,and other computer accessories, perhaps worth a look there?.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I have a little battery powered vacuum cleaner designed for computers which doesn't have a great deal of suck but does pick up the dust and dirt in a PC. I also use compressed air.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

static can form around the plastic nozzle due to the flow of air so do not let the nozzle touch anything.

Whwn cleaning PC innards I use a hair dryer on cool low blow to shift the dirt and a small paint brush and a ladies nail dodah to scrape the fan blades an heatsinks clean witth all the gunk at the bottom of the machine finish off with a vac to get it out.

*Laptops require a different regime I do not recommend blowing anything into the vents *

a vac against the input grills may clear some of the dust and fluff

as yours is overheating and fan rattling I think you will need to open it up and scrape the fan blades and heat sinks clear off gunk. and use the vac to lift out the gunk

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

I've said it before and say it again--a small lilo type footpump from any hardware store, or even Argos, with a small nozzle allows you to use both hands and does the job better than condensed aircans or vacuum cleaners. I have been using this method for 2 years now without any problems. Cost about £10 or less and lasts for ever

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

I always use compressed gas tins for computer cleaning but, always scour eBay to get them as cheaply as possible, usually around four at a time.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Hair Drier - cool Anti-Static Setting.

1/2 inch or 1 inch paint Brush to loosen the dust. Must be natural Bristle ---- Not Man Made Fibre/Nylon.

Preferably somewhere in the open air unless you plan to do the dusting for the next 3 months.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I find those free wooden sticks you get to stir your drink with at Coffee Shops are just the thing. I usually grab several when I buy my cuppa at Railway station.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I should have said, wooden sticks used for scraping the fan blades. I disturb dust with natural bristle artist type paintbrush and use vac to suck up the dust.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I have a compressor in the garage which I use. BUT, stop any fans turning - if not, they act as generators and can blow sensitive components through over voltage.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...