We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fit a new 3TB Hard Drive to this Motherboard.

Sparkly
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi just asking a question about H/Drives mainly as they get larger in the amount of gigabytes/terrabytes is there any size that the motherboard will start to not recognise? At the moment in my desktop i have a 2TB hard drive and was thinking of putting in a Western Digital Caviar Green Power 3TB 64MB Cache Hard Disk Drive SATA 6GB/s <8.9ms - OEM as a backup fpr my music/photo's This is my motherboard http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/IntelSocket1155/P8Z68V/#overview Thanks for any thoughts.

Setup is W7 64 bit 8 gig ram

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

The current maximum size of an NTFS partition is 16 exabytes (18 billion gigabytes). Assuming you can divide up the drive into four primary partitions, you can have 64 exabytes on a hard drive. Of course, Windows still uses BIOS addressing to find the size of a hard drive, so it is still limited by what the BIOS can see. Currently, the newest BIOS'es support a maximum of 144 petabytes (144 million gigabytes).

So I think you will have no trouble with your 3TB HDD.

Like this post  
Sparkly

Likes # 0

Hi Chronos the 2nd thanks for the swift reply and i dont have music or photo's to need (18 billion gigabytes).

Thanks again will get it orderd.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015