We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hiding unwanted details in Win 7 searches

morters
Resolved

Likes # 0

When I do a search for anything using Windows 7, I get vast amounts of stuff/files I don’t want/need to see, cluttering up the search results so that I really can’t see the wood for the trees. Is there a way to not display these? They are usually very small and include the following: .ASPX Cascading Style Sheet Document File Graphics Interchange Format Image JPG file JPEG Image Jscript Script File JSON File JSP File Loaded_0 File LST File Portable Network Graphics Image Shockwave Flash Object XML Document

I download hundreds of recipes and since the search find not only words in title, say ‘honey-roast ham’ but also any other files containing the word ‘honey’. Have searched various display options but have failed to resolve it.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Sorry, typed out all those file types in Word with a new line for each and then cut and pasted here but it's all run together , hope it's still clear what I'm saying, even without commas!

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

I find Search Everything to be much better than the Windows search facility. You can type in a file name and it displays it almost instantaneously.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Thanks,mgmcc. What exactly does it display as results?

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Sorry, mgmcc, should've read the link!

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Thanks again, mgmcc, that's much more like it! Though I still can't help wondering if there isn't a way to sort this wiothout having to download an extra bit of software!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You can narrow the search eg if you put "honey-roast jam" in quotes in the search box it should narrow the search to just that. You can also use Boolean filters Read ehow.

If you expand the search in the window that opens you can select a preview pane, if you select details you can order them in file types and apply date filters.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Thanks, Woowell, apologies for delay replying - lunch downstairs! Tried the quotes search but still got a load of unwanted stuff.Will read and digest the ehow articles. Thanks again.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...