We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

am thinking of buying a Xbox 360

brybob
Resolved

Likes # 0

Am 65y/o and need some advice on what l need, and how to go about it. l see in pc world xbox 360 it seems to have all l need in the box, at home l have a lap top. if l buy this xbox do l just connect it to the laptop and away l go, or is it more involved than that, l know l will need to register it and stuff.

Like this post
brybob

Likes # 0

l have looked at a small right up on xbox, it looks like l connect it using a ethernet cable, my router has just one connection for that and my laptop uses it. ??

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Am i correct in assuming you wish to play games online and not just use the x box to play games locally ie just against people in your home?

Like this post
brybob

Likes # 0

Yes, l want to play games on line, and games l buy. Bry.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Hmmm...it doesn't sound as simple as i thought it might be.

I found some infoclick here

If you have spare power sockets around the room, you could also use home plugs

Like this post
brybob

Likes # 0

Thanks Picklefactory, l will look for more info on the home plugs as it looks like the way to go, in the while am checking it out can l just play the games that come with the xbox through the box onto my laptop screen. Bry.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

The home plugs are very simple but effective, but obviously there is a cost involved. They are easily available on Amazon and many other outlets. The one thing I would say if you choose that route is that they come in varying speeds, 85Mbps, 200Mbps and I think 500Mbps. I have some I bought from Ebuyer and they are only the 85Mbps ones but they worked perfectly well with Xbox live. I personally have never played online, but I set my son's Xbox up with the home plug connection to my router and he never had any issue with connection or performance speed, so I'm not entirely sure there is any great need to go for the higher speed and slightly higher cost, but obviously, if budget is fine then I would think it's no harm to go for the fastest ones to suit your budget, but not essential.

If you just want to play games yourself, then I would strongly advise using a TV rather than your laptop. The games are much better on the big screen, especially if you have an HD TV, and I think all these game consoles are primarily aimed at TV play. It's a matter of a minute or so connecting it up to the TV.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

"If you just want to play games yourself"

Sorry, what I meant there was if you want to play offline just using the console locally and NOT online.

Like this post
brybob

Likes # 0

Thanks Picklefactory you have been a great help, went and got me a xbox 360 and got a 19 inch flat screen tv i came with 1 game Forza motorsport 4, total cost of £310, got it all set up and working, not on the net with it yet, a few more games first and then in the while l will give more thought to the home plugs. thanks again, Bry.

Like this post  
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

You're welcome

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone Air release date rumours, specs, leaked photos: 5.5in iPhone 6 expected

IDG UK Sites

Alternatives to iPad Air: iPad Air vs best tablets from Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, Google & more

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Apple launches a new Swift blog, signaling language's importance