We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Skype Win 7 or Win 8

iscanut2
Resolved

Likes # 0

PS...They have opened Skype by clicking on the APP ! Is this the problem and is there a desktop version they should be accessing and if so, where is it ? Sorry to be ignorant but I am not familiar with Win 8.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I'll start but my knowledge of W8 is virtually nil. I think that there is a new version of Skype for W8. The app is probably the place to start. What is the actual problem?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Read this Skype W8

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

Interesting in the link provided that when you scroll down it comes to the question...."what version of Skype am i using" then goes on to say not how to find the version but that you 'need' to purchase credit.??? I know M£ bought Skype but is this a subtle explanation.??

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell...I will have a read of the article and pay neighbours another visit and have another go. In the previous versions, the menu options were shown across the top and the new version is completely different. Clicking on favourites does not open up a dialog box to enable me to add contacts. However, we were getting into a muddle so a fresh start may help !

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

This was my original post. Apologies for breaking up into 2 posts.

I am trying to help a neighbour ( very non computer literate )with setting up Skype. They have a new laptop running Windows 8. The Skype version they have looks very different from my Version 6 on Win 7 and I am struggling to sort it out. It does not seem to have the various options menus to enable the setting up of a new contact and I am not getting very far. Would it be OK for me to install Ver6 ( Win 7 ) version and run this. Would it clash with the Win 8 version ? My first look at Win 8 am not impressed with ease of use.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

To set up a contact, right click anywhere and a bar opens at the bottom to add contact or save number.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

iscanut, I paid a visit yesterday to a chap and his wife to support them with their new Windows 8 laptop and encountered the same issue as yourself where they didn't like, or want, the new-fangled Skype "app". I visited the Skype download webpage but got redirected to the Microsoft App Store which offered me the same Skype app that was already installed.

After a while, I found this webpage where I downloaded and installed the Skype for Windows desktop which thankfully looks and behaves just like the version they were used to. The last thing I did was to remove the original Skype app tile from their Start Screen (by right-clicking on it) so they wouldn't get confused.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Secret Squirrel - that link will be useful - thanks.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I must say I quite like the new app. As I said you can right click for quick additions but you can also go to top right, settings, and everything is there. Just a matter of preference really.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Thank you all for the help, especially Secret-Squirrel, just the same problem as me.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch R video review: The most desirable Android Wear smartwatch

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming th)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad