We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Canon Printer not found on BT Openzone network

Flossy2110

Likes # 0

I recently bought a Canon Pixma MG4150 printer. I followed the intructions provided and a message was displayed on the printer to say it was connected to the BT Openzone network, which was what i wanted. However when i tried to install the printer software on my laptop, all goes well until a message is displayed saying the printer cannot be found on the network. I think this is due to the BT Openzone network being password protected. I have to enter username and password in on my laptop each time i want to go online, so im guessing i might have to do the same with the printer. I cant find anywhere to put such details in. Has anyone any ideas?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I suspect you are connecting to the wrong signal from your hub (BT hubs produce more than one - some to be used as hotspots, I believe). When you click on the 'search for wireless networks', or whatever, what do you see?

Like this post
Flossy2110

Likes # 0

Im not sure how to do this. When i click on LAN network settings im asked to choose between standard setup, WPS or other setup. It was recommended i choose standard setup, as i have to put a password in, after that the screen displays searching for access point, then displays BT Openzone, BTWiFi or directly enter the access poiint by name, so i chose BT Openzone, which is the network my laptop is on. Next the screen displays 'multiple access points with the same name exist, do you want to use multiple access points?' so i chose yes, which then changes the screen to connecting to access point, then connected to the access point. This does notregister anything on the laptop. I then tried goin back and selecting to use one access point wich then displays 'check the MAC address of the target access point by referring to the access point manual'. But im really not sure what this means or what i should be checking.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Ah, are you connecting by cable then, rather than WiFi?

Like this post
Flossy2110

Likes # 0

No i wanted to connect via Wifi. Is that not possible?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

" I think this is due to the BT Openzone network being password protected. I have to enter username and password in on my laptop each time i want to go online...."

Flossy, BT Openzone networks are designed for users who are out 'n' about away from home with their laptops or smart phones and want a temporary Internet connection. I'm surprised that you appear to be using one on a permanent basis for your Internet connection.

You'll never get your laptop and printer working together if you choose a BT Openzone wireless network. Do you have a subscription with an ISP and your own broadband router at home? If so then what make is it?

Like this post
Flossy2110

Likes # 0

No, i actually live in a hotel due to work commitments. The only access is BT Openzone. So is there no way around this?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"So is there no way around this?"

You can easily get your laptop and printer working just fine, but instead of wireless, use a USB cable to connect the two together. If the Canon didn't come with one then you can pick them up cheaply from larger supermarkets such as ASDA and Tesco.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

....forgot to mention above that when you get your hands on a USB cable, run the Canon printer setup utility again and you should get asked how you want to connect. Choose the USB option this time and only connect the cable when prompted.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features