We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

As from yesterday IE9 & Firefox both went into mega slow mode.

Graphicool1
Resolved

Likes # 0

Windows 7 - IE9 & Firefox

As from yesterday IE9 & Firefox both went into mega slow mode. Using FF just now from the moment I'd typed in the PCA URL to getting to the 'Tech Helproom' it took 7 minutes plus?! Also it's taking forever to download anything.

I can't see how the following could have had any connection, but I know how you like to have all the facts leading up to an occurance. Well the last two things I've done recently was...

(1) - On Sunday I installed the latest Nvidia Graphics Driver. On Monday, while I was playing a game, the screen went totally black for a blink of an eye, followed by a Windows message that it was caused by Nvidia. So I rolled back the driver.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

"Could be a faulty router - Check with your ISP again."

So far, although as yet I haven't got to talk to them direct, they've been less than helpfull. They're saying things like...

turn off any other web programs

The first thing we suggest you do is reset/suspend any other Internet activity or network activity if your PC is a part of a network.

Remember if you have any peer to peer software open that other Internet users may be uploading files from your computer's hard drive, which has an impact on your connection. If you're not sure, it's unlikely that you are.

check your browser

We suggest that you delete your cookies, and reset Internet Explorer, to see if this improves the speed that you can view web pages.

close all other programs

It's a good idea to exit applications you don't need when you're using Internet Explorer, particularly if your computer has less than 128MB of RAM. It's also good practice to limit the number of windows that Internet Explorer has open at the same time and close web pages that you don't need.

'Defragment' your hard drive

If you've been using your PC for a while, the hard disk may have become 'fragmented'. This means it's storing files in small parts, spread across many different places on the drive. This has a detrimental effect on speed, as it takes time for the computer to find and compile all the parts when launching a program or open a file.

We recommend you 'defrag' your hard disk every few months. The following Help article explains how do to it: how to defragment your computer's hard disk

unplug other USB devices

If you've got printers or scanners attached to your computer that use a USB cable, these can cause connection problems. Try unplugging these devices to see if the connection problem is solved.

check for stuck Email

If you're trying to download an attachment that's more than 2MB using Outlook Express, this could block your connection. To check if you have a stuck email see how to delete a stuck email using the Web.

Its also worth noting that web pages will take longer to load if you're simultaneously downloading a large email.

I've just checked the all filters and all lines in and out and changed the ethernet lead.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I've just seen your response Fruit Bat //0\\, I'll give it a go.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit Bat//0\\ been there, done that, it made no difference whatsoever. So at least I know one thing, it isn't the router. It's looking like a BT thing. Being as we're renting our line through Orange, they'll have to get it sorted.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

It could be the house wiring / broken filter

Do you have one of the mew iplates on your master socket?

Try plugging the router into the test socket on you master socket to eliminate the rest of the house wiring.

note all other telephone devices will be disconnected while you try this i.e. answer machines, TV boxes etc.

I had a faulty master socket cover that stopped the BB but phones where OK Thats why I suggest using the test socket.

If still the same then its a wiring fault to the house and BT to fix.

If now OK try putting coverplate back, if still BB down then coverplate try disconnect other devices / renewing flters on other devices.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\

Sorry I've been such a long time getting back to you. But it takes such a long time to get into PCA through all the stages and pictures it has to load, that I haven't been trying.

This is by way of an update, I've been talking to an Orange Techie this morning. He had me jumping through hoops, plugging and unplugging filters, phones, router cables, unscrewing the OutReach/BT Master Socket. But nothing made any difference. Then he ran a test on the line and said there was a line fault. He said he would inform the necessary people and they in turn would get in touch with me on Saturday.

After he hung up, I got an email...

"Hello,

We need to send out an engineer to fix your broadband fault. We'll contact you at the time slot you gave us when logging your fault to arrange the most convenient time for the engineer to come out to you.

Best Regards

Customer Support"

It didn't say who it was from, but the address preported to be Orange (not their usual address). However, from the last 5 words I deduce they think that the fault is in my domicile. Possibly the Master Socket.

Watch this space, I'll be back...

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Update

I got back to Orange on Friday at about 6 pm. The lady I spoke to took my landline number and said she would phone me back in 20 minutes. True to her word, almost on the 20th minute she phoned to say she had spoken to BT and they had 'reviewed my profile' whatever that means. She then told me to run a speed test, while she waited. I did and the result was 3.52 Mbps Download which was 2.52 Mbps more that I have ever had, since I moved out of the town and into the countryside.

Saturday morning we had to go shopping, but I couldn't wait to get back on my PC. As it was, when I eventually switched on it was around 3 pm. Thefirst thing I did was a speed test, I wanted to see those numbers again. But after a while, what met my eyes was horror, the reading was 0.11 Mbps, so I ran it again and this time it was 0.04 Mbps Download.

My immeadiate response was to phone Orange, however there was more to come. When I picked up the phone and dialled I could hear nothing but crackling. So I used the Orange mobile, which incidentally (I live in a bungalow) can only be used in the loft, it's the only place I can get a signal. Saturday tea time I eventually got back through to Orange. They tested the line and said the problem was a line fault. They got in touch with BT and gave them my mobile number, then told my that BT will contact me and the problem will be fixed within 2 to 4 days. Being as I haven't heard anything from BT yet, I'm thinking that the 2 to 4 days will start today (Monday).

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

SORTED

The BT guy turned up yesterday around 2 pm. Ran a test on the line, then went off in search of the problem. He came back about 3.15 and said he'd fixed it. The reason it took so long was because it was a new pole, so he had to wait for the cherry picker. When I asked, he said the problem with the line was due to corrosion in the junction box on the pole.

Like this post  
Nontek

Likes # 0

So I was right, glad you have it sorted at last!

Thanks for your feedback.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback