We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrading software or buy new

Mmbheff

Likes # 0

Two laptops in family, one vista one xp, both over 5 years old but giving us various problems. Should we just bite bullet and buy one new windows 8?

Can you use windows 8 ok without paying more for touch screen? Feb up updating machines

Like this post
Mmbheff

Likes # 0

Thanks, I will venture into trying to pick one, have an iPad that is great but can't manage without pc of some sort. Can't afford an apple but very impressed with the iPad, no worries about virus, upgrades, rafting around etc. have no idea what makes are good, but just want something reliable, we don't use them for games or watching DVDs, only need basic one. Not bothered about windows 8 or touch screen, but seems to be very few people impressed with windows 8, Microsoft not supporting vista and xp in the future concerns me re sorting these two out.

Hey ho more monet

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I have an old Compaq laptop which ran Vista and upgraded to Win 8. What a difference in performance and no more hard drive thrashing. Once you figure out the way to use Win 8, quite simple really, it's really 7 dressed up into app style computing. I liked 8 so much it is now on my main desktop. Cheap for the price compared to buying Windows 7 and it has given a new lease of life for the old lappy.

Like this post
Mmbheff

Likes # 0

Thanks, have parted with pennies and bought new laptop. Have now to decide what to do about office as previously only used works. Don't need full version but do need excel and word. Is it better just to give Microsoft more money or try to get round using one of the similar free google doc offers.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

No, that is not necessary - Open Office (free) should suit you, just Google for the download. It is compatible with Word, so any docs you already have will be accessible in Open Office.

Like this post
Mmbheff

Likes # 0

Thanks, what about excel,

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Like this post
Mmbheff

Likes # 0

Sorry to be so ignorant of these, I'm confused with the options, open office, libre office and google docs. Use iPad and now shiny new laptop and want the best easiest option, only use excel and word type, have no need to produce presentations etc any more. Yippee

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Have you tried Open Office? If not why not give it a try, after all it is Free ....

Open Office

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014