We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrading software or buy new

Mmbheff

Likes # 0

Two laptops in family, one vista one xp, both over 5 years old but giving us various problems. Should we just bite bullet and buy one new windows 8?

Can you use windows 8 ok without paying more for touch screen? Feb up updating machines

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Yes it will run without touch screen, But for me I will stick with XP, even running Win98se dual boot on one Desktop

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

What are the various problems, perhaps someone here can help!

But, if necessary I would go for Win7 rather then 8, very similar to XP and easier to get-on with.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Definitely get Win7 in my opinion.

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

Save all your data and reistall windows,that should help get rid of accumulated junk you've got over the years,you could download and run ccleaner it's well respected free and safe.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

I might be inclinded to stick with XP, but I would certainly dump Vista in favour of Win 7. IMHO Win8 could still prove to be more hype than substance and Win7 is probably the best OS MS have produced to date.

By the way, it might be worth checking to see if this or similar offer is still available

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/offers/windows-7-family-pack.aspx

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Yes, stick with XP on the one as it may not take W7. The Vista one almost certainly will. So far most unimpressed with W8 for laptop or desktop use.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

onthelimit1 makes a good point. RUn this download on both your machines before you go any further:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

Like this post
Mmbheff

Likes # 0

thanks, I need to get another 1gb Ram and 10 other assorted issues before I can look at Windows 7,

appears I have also lost windows installer on one machine, any ideas what to do next??

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Like this post
jonasmarsh621

Likes # 0

If it was me, I'd go for a new one if I can afford to buy one.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'