We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BROKEN FAN

liloldlady

Likes # 0

can a broken/innaficient fan in a laptop slow it down to a crawl?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

It can cause overheating and crashing.

Tell us the symptoms and perhaps we will be able to help more.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Yes, the laptop is likely to be overheating and the thermal protection system is slowing it down to protect the hardware. Get the fan replaced as soon as possible and try not to use the laptop in the meantime.

Like this post
liloldlady

Likes # 0

Thank you...Is it expensive to have a fan replaced at a computer shop?

Like this post
liloldlady

Likes # 0

John....Yes ir does occasionaly crash and the fan sounds "rattley"

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Is it expensive to have a fan replaced at a computer shop?

It can be depending on the make and model of the machine and how much stripping down is required to get at the fan.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

How do you know its the Fan and not the Hard Drive that's the Problem

Like this post
liloldlady

Likes # 0

The make is a compaq presario around 6 years old and running xp home. woodchip..I think it may be the fan becasue the laptop feels quite hot underneath, I didn't realise it might be the harddrive, what could be wrong with that.

Like this post
spiderlegz

Likes # 0

I would say that your fan is ok but your laptop needs to be serviced. This involves stripping down the machine, cleaning the vents & fan. The processor, graphics chip & heatsink is also cleaned & new thermal paste added. This operation will most certainly fix your overheating laptop.

Like this post
liloldlady

Likes # 0

Thank you all for your help. Just one last thing, if this repair is too expensive then my friend who is not computer savvy will buy another laptop, but she wants to keep XP home on the new one as she is used to it. Can we buy a new laptop with XP on it?.....

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

.. compaq presario around 6 years old ..

After six years of use it is very likely you have a lot of dust/fluff around the fan an cooling ducts/fins as spiderlegz indicates. You really have only two options, to do it yourself or get it serviced.

If you want to have a go yourself, there is a video which may help and a simple suggestion here.

Personally I would be tempted to do the minimum of disassembly and use a vacuum cleaner to remove as much dust/fluff as possible. Obviously the laptop must be switched off and care taken when using the vacuum not to do any damage.

For the future the is a site that offers quite a bit of varied information on working on laptops here.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer