We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Important .docx file won't open. Corrupt.

nick_j007

Likes # 0

Hi all. Posting on behalf of a good friend who has been working on a nursing project. She has written 3000 words and they were transferring the file between 2 laptops I believe via a USB stick. The file will now not open and I have also tried with no joy. As you can imagine she is mightily distressed!

I gather they were working on XP machines using Word 2007. I have Googled about quite a bit and not come up with anything to help so far. Can anyone here try to open and recover the data please?

I have tried renaming it to a .zip file and it still won't open. I have just been trying to open it with Openoffice and no joy with that either.

I'm in the office so any help on this would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you,

Nick

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Is Openoffice the only Word program you have on your pc to try to open .docx files?

What version number of Openoffice do you have?

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

What about Office starter that's free??

Like this post
nick_j007

Likes # 0

I have the latest (downloaded it today) version of Open office. I read on another forum that someone succeeded in opening the corrupt file in Open Office wouldn't work. I have Word 2010 and it won't open in either programme.

catpwss. I'll follow those links thank you.

Nick

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

No back up I assume. If they had deleted (cut) instead of copy and then pasted into the USB stick and then pulled the stick too early then the data transfer may not have been completed resulting in corruption which regrettably may be irreversible. If they had used copy then there should be a copy left on the original laptop. How did they do the procedure onto the memory stick?

Like this post
nick_j007

Likes # 0

No back ups to my knowledge, no. We've discussed future back up options.

I don't know how they went about shifting the save from the pc to the stick, but this may have been a part of the issue yes.

I'll forward this thread to them for now.

They have also looked in the auto save file for Word and nothing there despite having the option turned on.

Not looking good is it!

Nick

Like this post
nick_j007

Likes # 0

As a by the way, I see the file was named :

drug admin.docx

I have renamed it without the space but no joy. Would that affect the file as I thought no spaces should be there?

Nick

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

A couple more suggestions for you Nick:

1) Run a disk check on the USB stick and that may fix the file corruption.

2) If the Word document has been deleted from the original PC then use a free undelete tool such as Recuva.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Try these to repair or recover text in Word http://www.ehow.com/how4791471repair-corrupt-word-docx-file.html

I hope you have made a copy of the file and are trying different solutions on the copy of the file (keep the original intact)

Like this post
nick_j007

Likes # 0

Squirrel thanks. I guess they navigate to the stick on the pc and right click for the disk check?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...