We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sony Vaio VGN-TZ31WN/B HDD Replacement

wozza_c

Likes # 0

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-TZ31WN/B that has started to report a faulty hard drive. After some research on the net i bought an identical replacement 120Gb 1.8" Toshiba ZIF drive.

I have attempted to replace this drive 3-4 times now and no matter what i do, the new HDD is not recognised i the BIOS. I know that i am doing the replacement correctly as i can reconnect the old drive and it is recognised straight away.

I have also tried to connect a 120Gb 1.8" ZIF SSD but with no luck.

Does anyone know if there anything that i need to do to "initialise" the new drive or am i missing something entirely?

Any help would really be appreciated.

Cheers

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Sony. how to replace Hard Drive

Having had a look at that it is quite complicated changing them.

it does say it is a ATA 1.8 and not knowing one from the other you have used a ZIF one.

Like I said that is probably just the name of the maker so I haven't got a clue if one is different from the other.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Just the same I should have checked first.Sorry

Like this post
wozza_c

Likes # 0

Hi Jock1e,

Thanks for that. I have checked and the HDD replacement and it is exactly the same model as the original. As you say, its pretty tricky to replace these devices anyway, still i can get the old one working again, just not the new one :(

Cheers

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If BIOS sees old drive and new drive is connected correctly with power and data cables then it looks like the new drive is faulty and should be returned for replacement.

Can you feel the new drive spin up / get warm?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014