We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC Clock does not keep time

amyjen7

Likes # 0

I have for some time now found my computer clock and date (the date as only been wrong on a couple of occasions) failing to show the correct time, despite correcting in on a number of times. Following a recent article I opened the “change date and time box” went to “internet Time” then “Changed settings”. The synchronized button was ticked; I changed the internet Server from “time.nist.gov” to “time.windows.com”. Everything was ok for about a week then the clock was wrong again. When I pressed the Update button I received a message “Error occurred while Windows was synchronizing “. I would very much appreciate any advice as to what is possibly going wrong and how I can best address it and could it be the battery failing inside the PC which is 6 yr old. I run Vista Home Premium have the most recent Windows Explorer and my service provider is TalkTalk. Thank you very much

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Think you are correct.Sounds like it needs a new CMOS battery.

Have you tried resetting the time in the bios.Make sure you have the correct time and have the correct area settings.

Does it just loose one hour or does it vary.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If in the uk make sure the region is set to (UTC) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London.

Also make sure it is on the correct month.

If all of those are set correctly it looks like your battery needs replacing.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Yes, you definitely need a new CMOS battery.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded