We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless Keyboard Problems

blocker11

Likes # 0

My wireless keyboard is currently typing on it's own. I use a password to log in which has become impossible since the keyboard types in random things and the keys i type aren't working.

I've had to plug in a wired keyboard which corrects the issue. I've run th AV and Superantispyware which has not identified any problems..

It's a Microsoft Opitical 200 Mouse/Keyboard.

Any ideas?

Thanks

p.s the mouse works fine.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Flat batteries - change batteries

dust / crumbs / debris stuck in keys - clean keyboard

damaged cable from keyboard to usb port. - renew keyboard

Like this post
blocker11

Likes # 0

Batterys new.

Keyboard Clean.

Tried a 2nd keyboard (same model) and they are both doing the same.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Try USB receiver in a different USB socket

Like this post
blocker11

Likes # 0

I've tried the receiver in a different port and i've also tried a different receiver.

I've noticed i've got "Microsoft Mouse & Keyboard Center" installed on my machine which i don't remember seeing before, is this a geniune piece of Microsoft Software?

p.s the model is Microsoft Optical 2000 (not 200 as above).

Thanks

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Optical 2000 (not 200 as above)

thats why I got confused between wireless and wired :0)

in device manager make sure show hidden devices is ticked - Uninstall all instances of the keyboard drivers reboot let windows find and reinstall the keyboard drivers (HID)

Like this post
blocker11

Likes # 0

Ok,

I've reinstalled the drivers - no good.

I've restored to a previous date - no good.

If the wireless keyboard is plugged in during boot up it's either loading the Bios Setup or boot setup screens.

If i plug the keyboard in after boot up it randomly opens webpages/calculator etc.

I'm still very confused!!

Like this post
spiderlegz

Likes # 0

I have fixed this problem in the past by resynchronizing the keyboard & mouse to the receiver. I'm presuming that your keyboard & mouse are within 5m range of the receiver? You may need to click start & then onto Devices & Printers to select your keyboard & mouse (by right clicking & then selecting 'remove device'. You said that your batteries are fully charged but I have noticed that lower mAh batteries are a bad choice for modern devices. Your batteries might be 800mAh but you will definitely benefit from using 2000 or 2450 mAh rechargeable batteries. Your batteries may also be old? Out of interest, have you tried the batteries from the working mouse? Is the RF receiver close to another electrical device? Maybe a power source or radio/tv aerial? As this can cause interference to your RF receiver. Is there another local keyboard & mouse that is being used by someone else, which could be interfering with your setup? Wireless landline phone can also cause issues if the receiver base is too close etc. A few things there for you to check & try.

Like this post
blocker11

Likes # 0

I've removed the device several times and reinstalled the drivers.

The batteries are standard Duracell batteries which i've had no problems with in the past. Likewise the receiver is near (within 7m) of a TV and plug sockets....but again this isn't something new and the keyboard has worked fine over the last 3-4 years.

I think maybe it has just broken and needs replacing. I just hope it doesn't happen with any new device i buy.

Like this post
spiderlegz

Likes # 0

Yes I think it could well have come to the end of it's life & maybe time to purchase a new one. You might want to consider a bluetooth keyboard & mouse this time around? They function a whole lot better than the RF types & have a much better lifespan, speaking from personal experience.

Like this post
blocker11

Likes # 0

I purchased a Microsoft wired Keyboard yesterday, and so far i've had no issues.

I'm going to bring the problematic keyboard into work to see if the problem pesist.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers